Thread: Yukon River Bear(s) Hunt :)

Default Yukon River Bear(s) Hunt :)

Like I said before,it all started out with me inviting a couple of Soldiers out to harvest a bear before they leave and Deploy to Iraq.And to be successful I decided to try the Yukon River since it is far enough away from everyone else baiting this year and really my first attempt at trying the baiting thing.

After a couple of weekends driving up there and river travel we settled on a couple of spots that looked promising,and then the process of Trail Cam set up

and test site baiting began at one site as we worked on the second site,and we'd jump back and forth building temporary stands and checking the trail cam which seemed to be the most exciting thing of all,especially since both site started showing bears a mear 4 hours after we set up on them.

So with bears on both sites the third weekend up there we actually went in mind to hunt one stand and continue working on the other so we could hunt that one the following weekend.Seeing that we pulled in a few Grizzlies on that one we had to stop baiting it to get them off there.
    The one Sow and what you dont see is her running off one of the Blackies that was on the bait.

Default More bears and fun...

And more Gizzlies....

No particular order as I have tons of pictures.So I just grabbed a few for you all.

Default After all the time on the Grizzly stand...

The River level started dropping seemed like hourly,and low and behold I could not approach my stand and was kinda skittish about it since we beached it a couple of times trying to approach the area.So we let the stand go for the past 2 weeks.......oh! but more follows...

So back down to the second stand we go and where I left the two soldiers 7 hours prior.We get to camp and no sooner than beaching it we hear a rifle shot go off and echo threw the canyons that was followed by a few more shots and then the call to come rescue them over the radio breaks the airwaves...
    As I ease up the the landing here they come down the embankment where they proceeded to tell me the shot a bear 24 minutes after I put them up on stand and for the next 7 hours had to fend off one mean ol sow with cubs by placing there backs to the river and building a fire....funny thing is they had 5 shots left between them when I rescued them...

We head back to better known as "Bloody Beach" now since we skinned a few bears there now and snapped a few shots for one happy Soldier....

Bear one down.......

Default Mark's Bear

After only being on stand for 24 minutes Coleman gets his bear and needless to say we are all fired up now.

Next day I put both soldiers (Coleman & Moser) on stand and my pard and I head off to establish more sites while we let them hunt...

After a few hours we return and get the signal to come get em'. Seems like Moser missed one at eight and a half yards with his bow......BUMMER! Weekend comes to an end and we are off with one bear down and high hopes for the following weekend.

Middle of the week we find out we have the rest of the time off,and like that My pard and I are gone like a flash.
    And 3 hours later driving and an hour boat ride and an hour setting up camp. I put him on stand at 8 pm. I swear before my head got comfy on the pillow after camp chores I hear that lovely sound of a .300 wsm booming threw the hills where we call home for now,and I sit up before the last echo receeds and am slipping on boots when the radio opens up and all I hear in a whisper is..... " Daniel, you there?"......."Bear down in front of the drum,come get me in 10 minutes"
    Forget that 10 minutes I knew he had one and I was gone.

The smile says it all.

This boy just got into hunting weeks before hand and bought dang near Sportsmans Warehouse out and his momma was like you better kill something and get back to work.
    Well momma Mark he got his bear after 52 minutes on stand or I should say Bear hunting.
    Skinned out and laid out..

Default Daniel's Bear

After talking about it with Mark I still had a day and a half left till the 2nd soldier (Moser) was due to arrive for pickup and having the knowledge of how many bears we had around and had the opportunity to hunt and re-bait the site for Moser with plenty of down time in between we decided it was fair and Moser would still have a great opportunity for his 1st bear.
    7 hours later I pack up and take myself to the stand as Mark and my step-son where sleeping.Three Miserable windy cold hours later (and Steve and Jason can vouche for that)
    KABOOM! goes my .300wsm and my 1st Blackie is down and that made three bears down in 4 hours 16 minutes total time of bear baiting wahoo!

Christianing the boat again for the 3rd time.

And me loving the fact I was successful..

Default Most excellent

Thanks for taking the time to share. So let everyone know how they taste........

Some of those Griz look mean!

Congrats.

Default Moser's Bear...

But wait we've been out there not a half day yet and still had to wait a full day and then some for Moser.

Mark decides it victory dinner time and we head off after all the work was done and just cruised the river searching for sites and we end up down at the Yukon River store for a hot meal and cold so-dee pop.Not to mention wait for Moser for another 4 hours.

OMG! we hear a beeping above us to see Moser honking at us and we fired up the boat.Loaded Moser up and showed him the bears as we flew back to camp.Actually I went straight to the stand and dropped him off and Mark and I set his tent up and all.Three hours later he's cold and has a migrane.I pull him out for a 4 hour nap and tell him he will be back on stand at &am and he'll have his bear down b4 noon.

Well after his short nap and three hours on stand I heard that wonderful sound of a rifle in the distance and am running for the boat with Mark on my heels.
    As I fire up the boat,the radio only confirms he has one down in front of the drum also.

Im jsut tickled pink that I was able to be there and help these felals all get out there and witness them harvesting there bears and making dreams come true.

Yeah! we told him he shot the smallest bear I had on stand and he had to pack it out himself.

Size of the bear in comparison to fullfilling ones dreams for themis what was the biggest thrill for me,and Im happy they all had a lasting expierence in Alaska.

More to follow!Stay tuned and come back often to view Dan's Riverboat Hunting on the Yukon River Expeditions.......Man what a mouth full. Hahhaaha

Default Steve & Jason's bears.

As you all so eloquently know the man....the myth....the legend....known Alaskan wide from Internet,to campfire talk,he walks tall,smacks the critters hard and has a smile that never stops and Native Indiands down in the states from the 1880's would have been honored to be scalped by him and by no small feat would have stopped them James-Younger fellers before they was weaned................YES! you know its him......the one.......the only......

And the crowd goes wild for sid ahhhhhh!!!!!

I just call him steve lol!
    Anyhow where was I going with this?
    Oh! yeah! Steve calls me up wanting to know about the Yukon River and bears etc...so it was hard to explain it to him with out showing him,so we schemed a little and the next morning I'd host him and another Soldier my new bud Jason,well for that matter I hope Steve considers me a friend as well.ANYHOW again> Long story short we pack it up and haul ahh! um! we drove up to the river,and yes Id like to state my wheels do go round and round and even touch asphalt on occassion which I learned when they do it kinda slows progress a mite,and them boys had the bear smack down fever look in there eyes,and I think Steve was foaming at the mouth,and my god I felt like I was under interrogation by Maxwell Smart,which made the leisure drive north go by faster hahahaha!

And like any other time we set up camp on arrival and I told them fellas I was putting them on stand and not coming back for them till about noon as they would have a bear down before then,and If it got cold they needed to tuff er out.Im surprised they didnt start a fire in the stand,but Ill just say they'll listen to my suttle ways next time when I say "Are you sure you have enough clothes to keep warm" and "Do you want my heater".

Off to the stand I send em and to the camp I head for.Only to be awakened by a sharp Boom! and as I sit up, I hear WWIII going off across the ways.KABOOM!...KABOOM!........BOOM,BOOM,BOOM,BOOM. ....BOOM!
    ALl I could think of was thats not good,did they have a Hatfield & McKoy shot out with each other? Did one fella resort to cannibalism in order to stay warm?
    For an hour I paced Bloody Beach freaking out and I ahd enough of that so I went in packing for the worse and how to explain to the State Troopers why one person or two in my party are well you get the point.

As I approach the launch I see smoke from a campfire Hmmmmm! and two fellas with bloody hands coming at me.
    Coming at me with smiles.....whew this has gota to be good,and even tho I missed out on some of the fun and this...

In spirit I was with them and just as excited to see I helped a couple of friends harvest a few more bears.More like bears number 5 and 6.And did I mention they where on stand for 3 hours?
    Ah! skinned out bears on the baot again.

And at the Taxidermist shop.

Steve and Jason I want to thank you again for doing all that you did for me,as Im not used to that.And Steve your kindness in taking out a new friend you met here on the forum, I hope was retured ten-fold by my kindness in taking out two strangers from this forum also.And strangers you are no more.
    Once again thank you both for doing all that you did it means the world to me.Daniel

Default Great deal!

Man, those are great pic's and some nice bears! I'm looking to get a trail cam, and those are some of the best pic's i've seen from a trail cam. What are you using? Would love to know so I can go get one.

Thanks!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks again Dan, nice to hear it from your point of view. I did have to start reloading because of my shooting habit...LOL Jason did I as ask him, shoot until they stop, them shoot again. Reload and then high fives and knuckle taps. Grin...

Steve

Dan, congrats on the successes all the way around. Just curious, are you guys salvaging and eating the bear meat?

Good times! Thanks for sharing and great job!

Steve,Thanks bud. I did truly have a blast .In-fact I just came from the taxidermist and looked at ya'll's bears again...mmmmm nice! dont stink anymore either

Bushrat,Thanks for the kudos.The first bear they got one quarter off of it and said they accidentally bumped it and lost the carcass in the river.2nd bear Mark kept his meat and I kept my meat,4th bear I kept his meat also since he does not have any place to put it and is leaving soon.

As for Jason and stids we had planned on keeping the meat and well the bears stunk,so we let the fish have at the carcass's.

Mark and I should have our bear meat back this week.

Stepa thanks alot bud. Daniel