Thread: Heater question

Default Heater question

We're going to get our new Hewes 22' Pacific Cruiser (not galley version) outfitted with some sort of heater. The Wallas 1300 (Kerosene) is the one that was first recommended. It's only 4200 BTU, however, and my family prefers to be toasty warm on cold rainy days. The Wallas 30D is variable up to 10,500 BTU and uses diesel. It's also about $1000 more in cost. The typical Wallas two burner stove/heater combo is apparently about 6650 BTU. The Webasto brand has a nice diesel model (2000 ST) that is in the same ballpark in price that is 3-7000 BTU.
    The Cozy Cabin Force Ten wall mounted heater looks like is has some possibilities but does not seem to have a fan mechanism for air distribution.
    Does anyone have experience with any of the above heaters and might recommend one or another?
    Thanks for your input!

Default Espar Airtronic

I had the wallas 1300 in my old 24 AK searunner and it worked well. It would not cook you out, but it would take the nip off and keep it dry in the cabin. I have an espar airtronic forced air that I burn kerosene in. It puts out about 18000 BTU on high. It will cook us out of the cabin. I really like this unit. It is has a thermostat and kept the cabin in the 70's while the outside temp was 20 below this winter. The kids and I camped out several times this winter. Here is a link to a search of this topic. It has been discussed a lot: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sea...RID%3A11&hl=en

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I had the wallas 1300 in my old 24 AK searunner and it worked well. It would not cook you out, but it would take the nip off and keep it dry in the cabin. I have an espar airtronic forced air that I burn kerosene in. It puts out about 18000 BTU on high. It will cook us out of the cabin. I really like this unit. It is has a thermostat and kept the cabin in the 70's while the outside temp was 20 below this winter. The kids and I camped out several times this winter. Here is a link to a search of this topic. It has been discussed a lot: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sea...RID%3A11&hl=en

Don't tell me...your boat has insulation too?

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Don't tell me...your boat has insulation too?
    Yes it does! Here is a pic of the inch thick foam board that covers the walls and ceiling of the cabin and birth.

That's pretty cool. Or, more appropriately, should I say hot? Outstanding!

Thanks. Guess we kind of hijacked the thread. Sorry Alaska Meier.

Default No sorry taken!

I've appreciated all of the input and especially the link to the previous threads on the subject. Making some phone calls today, the most bang for the diesel/kerosene buck seems to be with the Toyo NS 2800 (almost 10k BTU for about $1200). Of course the other guys (Wallas, Espar, Webasto) say the Toyo is inferior, is only popular in Alaska because of their reputation with home heating units. In my two compartment boat configuration, I'm leaning toward something substantial with at least 7500 BTU, especially to keep my wife happy!

I've read and seen that most people position their heating units on an interior wall/bulkhead. Is that for better efficiency? In my 22' Pacific Cruiser, I'm wondering about the best location. Under the helm dash with one duct to the vee-berth? Any suggestions about location of these heaters?
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Meier View Post
    I'm leaning toward something substantial with at least 7500 BTU, especially to keep my wife happy!

Ha! You are learning. If she is happy, you are happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Meier View Post
    I'm wondering about the best location. Under the helm dash with one duct to the vee-berth? Any suggestions about location of these heaters?
    Thanks again!
    If you look at the picture I posted above, you can see the Espar mounted along the port side. I have a heating duct right next to the passenger bench (where my wife sits) and another into the v-birth. I should have ducted one into the head, too. Might still do that. If the Toyo will be efficient with two ducts, I would mount it under the helm, out of the way, and have a vent into the cabin and one into the birth.

I run a Wallas Stove in my C-Dory and it throws plenty of heat but it's spendy and finicky. I've always admired the Dickinson with it's cheery window and blower fan. I just couldn't decide how to mount it inside my little cabin. http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propheaters.html .