Thread: Advice on a sheep guide

Default Advice on a sheep guide

Hi,
    I am new on this forum and I wanted to ask if anyone had hunted with a specific guide. I do not know if this type of question is proper forum etiquette so I am starting this thread to get your opinion.
    Thanks
    Mike

Default Deltana outfitters

deltana outfiters are one of the best sheep guides in alaska they hunt on the puninsula check out there website at detana.com
    Ron Paul 2008 RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION

TRY JESUS

ILY

Default just my thoughts

jeff chadd with majestic mountain outfitters--type into google and you will find him, he hunts a hot spot in the wrangells that is producing monster sheep, I worked for him as a packer a long time ago.

GL

These two hard working guides will do everything they can to ensure your safety and success, give them a call, do your research and follow up on the references.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/dir...uthcentral.htm

http://www.freelanceoutdooradventure...eepGallery.htm

Get a cheap calling card and call and talk to as many Guides/references as possible...............A few of other guides are Dan Montgomery, R & R and Braun Kopsack.

-Good luck on your sheep hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_boy View Post
    deltana outfiters are one of the best sheep guides in alaska they hunt on the puninsula check out there website at detana.com

They bear and moose hunt on the Peninsula, they sheep hunt in the Brooks. They are very successful!

i'd tell ya kopsak before i told ya deltana, braun guides you and is basicly a legend, deltana passes you off to assistants and i know one that worked for them two years ago, never shot a sheep, 3 clients no sheep, to afraid to pull the trigger for fear they weren't legal...no banner name can make up for a lone guide with experience, brauns got an unreal reputation.
    coming from a guide....
    that being said, if i was gonna go big box guides, i'd look into paul claus of ulitma thule over in the wrangells. I know some guides that work for him and just rave about his sheep area.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am going with Braun, and I research like no ne you have ever met. However while he is great the area is getting hammered. I might switch my hunt to bear.

Default sheep

top gun treks guiding service does a good job getting sheep every year. WWW.topguntreks.com

Default What type of sheep hunt do you want?

How much do you want your sheep and what kind of shape are you in?
    1) Many sheep hunts get you into an area where there are a number of rams from 34-38 inches. They take care of your needs and you will likely enjoy your experience. This is the box-store type experience.
    2) Do you want a shot at a Hawg. A personal trip with a guide that nearly 1/2 of the clients turn back because they are not up to it? However, if you tough it out you might have a shot at a real monster. Steve Johnson of Ultimate Alaskan Adventures offers this type of hunt.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Well, since names are being named, let me ask specifically if any of you have hunted with or know anyone who has hunted with Max Schwab out of Talkeetna. How is GMU 20?

heard good things about his outfitt, runs quiet a few guys each year, they kill sheep, prices if i recal are a bit lower than most, which is why we keep hearing about him. rumors about the man himself...thats a different story.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

So nobody else has anything to say about Max Schwab or GMU 20?

Default Max

I hunted with him last year. Ya, he may be a tad bit cheaper, but he takes care of his clients.
    The dude knows knows his area, and does all his own flying. I believe he takes about 6 hunters a year. Three on the first hunt, and 3 on the second hunt. Some guys opt for a combo hunt, but not often.
    The rams he killed last season were decent. I killed a 38" ram with 13.5 bases, and another man who was 71 years old killed a 41" ram. Not bad for 20A.
    Max isn't much of a talker. He is all about the hunt, and less about the size of horns.
    Attached Images Attached Images