Thread: EPIRBs; for ditch bag or PFD

Default EPIRBs; for ditch bag or PFD

what do you folks use or recomend?
    Thanks,
    Rob

i picked up a aquafix epirb last year, i keep it on the dash for quick access. you may want it attached to your person or pfd if you wear one. if its in a bag it will be that much longer before you can activate it, where if it is on you or mounted within easy reach you can grab it and activate it. if your going down and have children with you what are you going to grab them or a bag? jeff

I keep my epirb on the dash like AKfun. I put some 2" velcro on the dash, a 2" velcro strip on the epirb, and it stays solidly put within easy reach.

My own opinion is the fewer things you have to grab in an emergency, the better. You can either grab three things--your ditch bag, PFD and EPIRB--or put the EPIRB in the ditch bag or on the PFD and only have to grab two things. I happen to think two is better.

Whether you put it in the ditch bag versus on the PFD is really a question of which you think you're more certain to grab in an emergency. Hopefully you've got things arranged on your boat so that you'll easily and quickly be able to grab both.

In many ways, putting the EPIRB on your PFD makes a lot of sense. That way, whenever there's a chance of going in the water--i.e., whenever you decide to put on your PFD--you've also got your EPIRB with you. The only downsides to this I can think of is that it adds a little more bulk to the PFD, and you'll need to exercise a little more care with your PFD, to make sure the EPIRB doesn't get banged around, etc.

For what it's worth, ours is in our ditch bag, which is in easy reach next to the cabin door, and right next to our PFDs.

Default Which One?

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    i picked up a aquafix epirb last year, i keep it on the dash for quick access. you may want it attached to your person or pfd if you wear one. if its in a bag it will be that much longer before you can activate it, where if it is on you or mounted within easy reach you can grab it and activate it. if your going down and have children with you what are you going to grab them or a bag? jeff
    Fortunately, my kids are old enough that I don't need to grab them, so that isn't a question.

Any other recommendation as to brands to look for or stay away from?
    Thanks,
    Rob

I just recently went through the process of purchasing a PLB (personal epirb), and the prevailing view on this forum was to go with one of the ACR PLBs--either the AquaFix or the ResQFix.

The AquaFix is available in two models--one with internal GPS and the other with an interface that allows you to connect your GPS unit. Most folks recommend the model with the internal GPS.

The ResQFix comes in only one model--with internal GPS. It's ACR's newest model and is slightly smaller and lighter than the AquaFix. It also needs a case in order to float (whereas the AquaFix floats by itself) and costs about $100 more than the AquaFix.

Can't really go wrong with either.