Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kenai twitch.

Default The Kenai twitch.

The Kenai twitch.

For those who dont know what we have talking about here the last couple weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKHobHWKMU
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default kenai twitch...

Personally, I think the guy in the film needs lessons. he spends more time setting up his next flip than bouncing his fly.
    Gary

Default that guy

IS A SNNAGER if i was fish and game I WOULD BUST HIM nice video ron.

I think they should allow snagging for reds on the Kenai and russian...You get your three and then you leave, Be a lot less congestion on the river.

Exclamation realy

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I think they should allow snagging for reds on the Kenai and russian...You get your three and then you leave, Be a lot less congestion on the river.
    then they should just let every body use a dipnet anywhere on the keani it would hurt the fish less and would make more space for you on the river ..

Weak, if that guy was fishing like that around here, he'd get "removed" from the river.

Nope,,i dont fish down there. But everybody *****es about the riverbank erosion from foot traffic on the russian and the crowds so............... Havent fished down there for over 10 years,dont care for the crowds. All the salmon I can handle are up north ,,just have to know where to go....And nobdoy else is around,and yes its legal.

If you cant fish i suppse you snag! Not much sport in that. If you are going to snag do it right and use a heavy weighted trebbile hook. that was there is no confusion and you can get busted!

Angry

That is not fishing it is blatant snagging.
    These losers need to be given a nice fine and forfeiture of their equipment. That may educate them.

Default Snagging?

Looks like the form you see all over the river when fishing for reds. I would like to see how you guys calling him a "snagger" would catch a sockeye.

Tom

I see that a lot every year on many rivers and creeks. Looks like modern Alaskan fishing to me....

I disagree with the sudden sideways jerk at the end of his drift. A subtle lift of the end of your rod does a better job than the snag anyways.

its been my experience that "snagging" like that is the only way to efficiently catch reds. The trick is to "snag" them in the mouth

Default snagging?

the guy in the film has a really "soft" snag sweep at the end of his drift. not the force applied that you usually see on the Kenai. if you haven't seen it before, I can only assume that you haven't fished the Kenai much.
    I really don't think much of his whole technique at all, to be honest.
    the whole idea of fishing for reds consists of:
    1. flip upstream at about a 45* angle,
    2. bounce bottom (keeping the line fairly tight - no worry in most places on the Kenai, due to the current) and flip back upstream when the line is about 45* downstream. if the line stops or hesitates during the drift, set the hook. I lift the rod tip, but most use the sideways sweep.
    3. the more fish present, the better your chances.
    the longer the line is in the water (as opposed to waving around in the air, the better your chance of drifting the fly into a fish's mouth.
    though reds will occassionaly "bite" a lure - I've caught them on spinners (hooked deep in the mouth), flies and beads. I'd question the bead hook ups, except for the fact that they sometimes hit my strike indicator (float) when I'm bead fishing.
    most reds are "lined", "flossed" or whatever terminoligy you want to use. maybe un-sporting or just un-fortunate, but that's the name of that song.
    Gary

Default SOFT? Ya gotta be kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    the guy in the film has a really "soft" snag sweep at the end of his drift. not the force applied that you usually see on the Kenai.
    That's pretty much pure unadulterated snagging... intentionally trying to hook a fish ANYWHERE the hook can find a solid purchase. I don't care how many people are doing it, guys that jerk on every "drift" are in blatant, unashamed violation of the law.

JFC! ( just for clarity)... a jerk on every flippin' cast equals SNAGGING. What's so hard "to get"

If the sideways sweep is only performed when resistance or a headshake is felt FIRST, you will hook 95-plus % of the fish in the scissors... in other words a "legal" hookup.

The technique the guy in the video is doing will result in at least 75-80% NON-legal hookups.

I will have to agree with you on the ineeficiency of his technique.... about 95% downtime. A good sockeye fisherman will launch a cast every 4-5 seconds like clockwork, with at least 90% of the motion spent in the water.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I think the main reason people get bad snag hookups is the fact their weight is too close to the fly. I always put weight about 4 feet from it and do great.
    I don't really have much problem with a little wrist snap at the end.
    About 80% of hookups come from the last part of the drift, in my experience.

Now if someone is just dragging their stuff through a school of fish that's different.

Default If Youre Hook Is Sharp

there is no need to twitch,

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    Weak, if that guy was fishing like that around here, he'd get "removed" from the river.
    Mnfish not singling you out just using what a lot of you are talking about
    here-- I see it as all are snagging just some of the people are using a little more"finesse"(sp)
    Arent some of you calling the "kettle black" here
    Just my thoughts dont let it ruin your day

Angry Better than flipping and ripping

At least the fellow in the video probably will not injury anyone...

The flippers and rippers are just plain dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by cmccull166 View Post
    Mnfish not singling you out just using what a lot of you are talking about
    here-- I see it as all are snagging just some of the people are using a little more"finesse"(sp)
    Arent some of you calling the "kettle black" here
    Just my thoughts dont let it ruin your day
    I agree 100%, but no need to do it so blatantly. That's why I am a Gamakatsu hook dealer, sharp hooks do all the work. I prefer to let the fish hook themselves. 90% flossing for all trout and salmon species here in the rivers. You will not see me setting the hook sideways ever, especially on every drift! There are easier ways to do it without looking like an ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast