Thread: Trailer oil bath bearing question

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Trailer oil bath bearing question

Any of you have experience with oil bath bearing? I have clear plastic covers on the hubs that are half way full of 90 weight oil, last year I had one get water in it (oil turned milky and the level gets higher)because the bearing was a little loose,(it had no cotter pin in only that wheel after 6 Robbles worked on it) drained,fixed and refilled and had no more problem. This year after my first trip I had milky oil in 3 of the hubs, I changed the oil in all 6 of the hubs,checked for being loose,have not moved the trailer and yesterday after the rain I can see what looks like water on the oil of the same hubs and the others look like there is a layer of darker oil on top of the new oil.I have never had any oil leaking out.I don't like the oil bath bearings and last year tried and failed at finding a way to get bearing buddy on the hubs,I'm thinking if I don't come up with something here I will take apart,clean and pack the hubs with marine grease,thanks for any advice.

If you changed the oil, went no where and see water it's because of condensation/leftover water behind the bearing. As far as the dirty oil it's common(also the moisture problem)if you do not take them fully apart and clean.

The dirty oil part is not a huge deal as it does not use the oil under pressure (like an engine) to maintain clearances, it's a lube/coolant. If it gets really dirty or turns milky white then time to change the oil. Just remember what you see in the cap is only one third of the moisture present. You will always have a little oil and water behind each set of races.

Why can't you use bearing buddies? You have a triple axle King Trailer? Did you have the trailer converted from greaseable to oil bath? I never bought into the oil bath bearings myself but I have seen the problems you described and they are common complaints.

Thanks Dupont Spinner,I think your right about the water and old oil,I'm going to change the oil in the ones with water again. As for your questions I can't use bearing buddies because the hole in the hub which is threaded is to large for the ones I tried,(need an adapter)it's an Ezloader trailer and it had oil bath bearings when I got used,I think it came that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    Thanks Dupont Spinner,I think your right about the water and old oil,I'm going to change the oil in the ones with water again. As for your questions I can't use bearing buddies because the hole in the hub which is threaded is to large for the ones I tried,(need an adapter)it's an Ezloader trailer and it had oil bath bearings when I got used,I think it came that way.
    You don't find to many triples with oil bath setups. You may want to consider at least removing the outer bearing and flushing the inside with some tranny fluid to remove some more of the crud. Maybe even just filling with tranny fluid and dumping it back out after a short soak. The tranny fluid would mix with the oil better and tend to cleanout/flushout any garbage without disassembly.

I forgot about the caps screwing on.....I still thought that you could get a bearing buddie?????? May be worth sending an email to ezloader. They have a good website to view parts. I have thought about doing the oil bath when I convert to disc brakes but I think I will stay with greaseable hubs.

Did you replace the seals when you had it apart and cleaned them?
    I am Curious,as I have them on my trailer, there has been no need to service them yet as they are only a year old and everyhing looks good from the outside?

6 Robbies changed all the seals spring 2007 so all I have done is drain the oil over night and refill,I will flush with tranny fluid before refilling this time.