Thread: Ultra light planes?

Default Ultra light planes?

Does any one have websites for ultra light air planes. Im looking for models that don't require a pilots license but can still hold some gear, Thanks.

sorry--but if you don't have a pilots license you do not belong in the air.

Default Ultralights

Unfortunately Uncle Sam has poked his nose into the ultralight aircraft field. I am sure there are valid reasons, but it was one of the last unregulated areas left. Recently the rules have been changed so that almost all aircraft are regulated and require licenses to fly.
    The only remaining exception is Part 103 ultralight aircraft. To qualify in this section the aircraft must weigh less than 254 pounds and have only one seat. This pretty much limits you to power parachutes (smaller ones only) and some gyrocopters. I have not found any that qualify as Part 103 that will carry anything except a pilot.
    The new Sport Pilot license and Light Sport Aircraft classifications cover most of what used to be available without certification. They are restricted in weight and in the airspace they can use. However the licenses take less time and are cheaper to get. The bigger power parachutes are under Sport Pilot regs.
    If you are interested in power parachutes still, Bud Gish of Anchorage is supposed to be the main man in Alaska.
    Good Luck

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by cdhunt View Post
    sorry--but if you don't have a pilots license you do not belong in the air.
    Absolutely correct! I have PERSONALLY watched non-pilots trying to perform with ultralilghts. First time was at Lake Louise, where four guys had one mounted on floats. Couldn't understand why it wouldn't get off the water. What would be your guess about that situation? Every licensed pilot would know, and that's only the beginning . . . . . I was glad they finally gave it up, though they dumped it upside down three times in the light crosswind there.

PLEASE get your license first! And good luck!

Default Quicksilver ultralights

There's a place in iowa called trikite.com he builds the old quicksilver ultralights which were three axis part 103 legal, they dont carry any gear but you can legally fly without a license, I have flown these for years and they're great, I don't follow the idea that you absoluley have to have a license but you should get training from an instructor, and not a cfi in a cessna these dont fly like a cessna, get the training from a sport pilot insrtuctor in a two place ulralight or sport plane as the FnAA calls them now.

David A.
    just fly!

Default just read this post

I don't want to be around unlic. pilots because they are dangerious! If you want to fly do it away from airports and people so _when_ you augger in you don't hurt anyone but yourself, Thanks.

Default unlicensed?

I guess your right, only the faa should be able to tell who's trained and licensed, since the goverment is such a proficent organization i guess no badly trained pilots ever get thru, that's why the there's never downed pilot's, runway encursions, or near misses here is because everybody licensed!

P.S. I Have a license and have gained a lot of knowledge from those folks waiting to auger in. Open your mind those guys study more aspects of flying most of the time that commercial pilots get in school.

Default unlic.

I don't intend to enter into a personal battle here, but the FAA not being perfect at least requires some level of knowledge and demonstrated level of profecency with a series of test,ie. written,oral and flight. It also leaves a certain amount of responisiblity on the pilot to maintain their proficeintcy . If one feels they don't know something it is there responisiblity to seek to infromation or training required to be SAFE. The main reason for Bi-Annual Flight reviews W/ an instructor. One would be better off seeking knowledge from a CFI W/experience than self studied people that have no quailfications,ie. seeking medical advice from a friend that read a book on medicine, as in both cases bad infromation can make you dead.
    All this said when I give a Bi-Annual to a private pilot it is rare when the pilot isn't safe, maybe not proficent at all the manuvers,but basic understanding of what is going on and good habits due to training to FAA standards.
    In 42 years in aviation I've heard and seen about every angle at short cutting and back dooring into flying. Yes it cost money to learn to fly and its not easy, but if you want to do it bad enough you will find a way to pay for it. If its not a money issue then its flat out lazy, with a list of excuses why they are smarter than god and don't need the traditional training because they read about it. After 15,000 hrs. I'm still learning and still study.
    As far as the rwy encu. and near misses,etc. goes it's usally because of the actions of low time , inexperienced pilots. Its all part of the game, you don't know what you are talking about in this area and I couldn't explain it to you until you have been in LAX or JFK at 1730hrs on a Fri. in Aug.

Default unlic.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I just wanna say that if those of you who are licensed would take some of those outlaws under your wing, and respect their desire to fly then maybe just maybe everybody would be safer, I personelly would like to see the Two seperate aviation communities work better together and end this seperation, i think it would be best for both worlds.

David.