Thread: Shore Fishing in Petersburg?

Default Shore Fishing in Petersburg?

I will be visiting the girlfiend's family in Petersburg for two weeks. During that time I intend to sneak out and hopefully find a spot to soak some bait or throw some lures. I will do my fair share of camping and boat fishing ...but its the solo land based fishing I have some questions about.

Does anyone from that area know about a good spot to target rockfish from shore? Is there any rockfish around? Lings?

Also I assume that blind slough will have salmon during my stay (July 2 - 16)... anything I should know? I have NEVER caught/target salmon from shore so this will be one new experience for me.

I assume that Salmon and Halis are the only two fish species that fishermen in Petersburg will wake up early for... but is there news/reports/info on rockfish in that area? Again, especially shore based. I have a feeling I will not be able to convince my girlfriends's dad to drop some squid on top of some lingcod when there is halibut and salmon to be had

Hello there, Im affraid that rockfish from shore would be prettu tough. I grew up in Petersburg, and the best offshore fishing would be for dollies. Dollies love pink!! THe shorline has a very gradual decent and the only other bottom fish in close would be Irish Lords/bullheads, not worth your time. THe harbor should be full of herring, which is fun and cuts down on the bait cost!! And yes Kings will be in at the Slough, there are a lot of methods, but snagging is legal, if it is food you are after. Being an old commercial Fisherman, im more of a harvestor than an artist. But I do know that guys catch um on the incoming tide when their fresh. Anythin thast has been in their a bit is not worth your time. Also the incoming tide at falls creek is fun for chum, and pinks. Any other questions ill be happy to answer.

thanks for the reply

are there no rockwalls anywhere? no harbor jetties made from rock/boulders?

No harbor jetties, no rock walls. That I am aware of. It is not a place easilly fished from the beach. But there are always boaters out and if you hit the Harbor Bar in the early evening you might pick up a ride!!

Default He right

I grew up in Petersburg and that time of year your best bet is to target kings at the slough. But watch the regs blind slough is only open to snagging by emergency order now, so make sure they've opened it before your start snagging.

My dreams of reeling a big lingcod from shore have been shattered

thanks for the replies