Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There is a thief in Barlow Cove.

Default There is a thief in Barlow Cove.

Ok, I just lost my second Mondo pot out of Barlow. I didn't think much of it until I pulled my other two pots from Pot Builder up. I had put the bait boxes in a specific way and zip tied one of the doors shut. Well the bait boxes had been switched around and the zip ties were gone. BEWARE OF THAT AREA. I will be talking to the Troopers when I go into work Mon.

That sucks.... Next time you should put a note in the pot that says turn your head and smile for the camera.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

[quote=chauvotsm;286660]Ok, I just lost my second Mondo pot out of Barlow. I didn't think much of it until I pulled my other two pots from Pot Builder up. I had put the bait boxes in a specific way and zip tied one of the doors shut. Well the bait boxes had been switched around and the zip ties were gone. BEWARE OF THAT AREA. I will be talking to the Troopers when I go into work Mon.[/quote

Sorry to hear that. It is shame that some people do what they do.

Default PWS Pot Theifs

I lost 3 pots, rope and float on the far side of Culross Island only soaked 6 hours before I went back. I stamped stainless steel cable ties with name, I'll check every sale I see. I think I'll put out a line and go over to the beach and watch for a day.

Thanks for the heads up... whereabouts is Barlow Cove?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I moved my two remaining pots of to a secret spot hard to see. I'm hoping that it end up being a honey hole no one has noticed yet. The lay up looks like the type of spot that should be really good. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Thanks for the heads up... whereabouts is Barlow Cove?
    North tip of Admiralty behind Shelter Island in the Juneau area.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    North tip of Admiralty behind Shelter Island in the Juneau area.
    Ah... that explains why I couldn't find it. It's not where I was looking...

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Major bummer...

As long as the wind is blowing from any direction except the North, Barlow is a great place to camp especially if a guy had decent binocs and wanted to do some bird-watching... or something. ;-)

How long and on what days of the week were your pots unattended?

I had some clients ask me if I pulled crab or shrimp pots on my salmon charters the other day. I don't, and I didn't think much of it, as I know a couple of the guys in Auke Bay try to keep a pot or two around for the days when fishing is less than satisfactory. I guess the clients had been out on a boat the day before and pulled 2 of the captain's "king crab pots" just to check them... Isn't the PU King Crab fishery closed right now near Juneau?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default King crabs

I'm not sure about this, but i think you can still take golden king crab.

i heard tanner crab will be open this summer in cook inlet

That freaking sucks Shawn. I guess I've been lucky or maybe they get tired of pulling up 600ft of lead line -

I've done the wire ties too and haven't had anyone bother them yet. But then again I leave mine in the "cut" so it's easy to observe anyone. PM me if you want and let me know what color buoys you have and I'll keep an eye out for the ahole!

r/

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    I lost 3 pots, rope and float on the far side of Culross Island only soaked 6 hours before I went back. I stamped stainless steel cable ties with name, I'll check every sale I see. I think I'll put out a line and go over to the beach and watch for a day.

Lost two pots yesterday... First I thought maybe the current took them. But when I noticed my second bouy was not where should of been I knew something was wrong. When I pulled up my pot I noticed it was clean. No shrimp. This spot has produced tons of shrimp for me. Also the zip tie was cut, which verified that someone missed with the pot... Only one thing I was curious why pull up two lines and keep 2 pots and then pull the second and just take the shrimp and not the pot....

I had 900 feet of rope and the pots that are gone were in 500 feet of water. The two I did recover were in 600 feet with same amout of rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Lost two pots yesterday... First I thought maybe the current took them. But when I noticed my second bouy was not where should of been I knew something was wrong. When I pulled up my pot I noticed it was clean. No shrimp. This spot has produced tons of shrimp for me. Also the zip tie was cut, which verified that someone missed with the pot... Only one thing I was curious why pull up two lines and keep 2 pots and then pull the second and just take the shrimp and not the pot....

I think they pulled the first pot up, took all the shrimp and put the pots back down. When they got to the second, they might have figured not to press their luck on not getting caught and took off with the whole shabang.

Angry

Someone needs to get caught and be punished to set an example for the other scumbags who take what they did not earn.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Someone needs to get caught and be punished to set an example for the other scumbags who take what they did not earn.
    I totally agree. I was with Alaska Gray yesterday and was drooling at the thought of fresh shrimp. I never had any before and some Ftard had to ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Major bummer...

As long as the wind is blowing from any direction except the North, Barlow is a great place to camp especially if a guy had decent binocs and wanted to do some bird-watching... or something. ;-)

How long and on what days of the week were your pots unattended?

I had some clients ask me if I pulled crab or shrimp pots on my salmon charters the other day. I don't, and I didn't think much of it, as I know a couple of the guys in Auke Bay try to keep a pot or two around for the days when fishing is less than satisfactory. I guess the clients had been out on a boat the day before and pulled 2 of the captain's "king crab pots" just to check them... Isn't the PU King Crab fishery closed right now near Juneau?

-Case
    According to the AFG rep I talked to Sat, yes it is very closed and may not open at all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Talked to the Troopers today. Some of them set pots out there too. Said they would pass the word around. Unfortunately, unless they are caught in the act there ain't much you can do about it. Freakin pisses me off. That's $400 gone in a months time.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    That's $400 gone in a months time.

I lost two pots $70 each
    buoy. $45
    900 feet of rope. $125

So it stings. I'm almost to the point of not re buying any shrimping gear.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Dont you wish you were allowed a DLP for fishing gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast