Thread: Hello all.

Default Hello all.

Hello,

First let me introduce my self. I live in Long Beach 5 year's now, but originaly I am from Czech Republic. I fish here the Kern River and Eastern Sierra. I only fly fish and 95% "CPR" caught, photo, relase.

I never fly fish in Alaska but this year I have the opportunity go in Alaska on August for 8 days. I will be arrive in Anchorage on August 7th. My girlfriend will be with me.

Can you guy's give me some info.???
    My plan is go somewhere, camp and fish all day long, but don't know where to go.

Every info will be very appriciate.
    Thanks Zee.

Default Dobry den

Greetings CF.

Elsewhere in this forum, several books were recommended which will aid your trip planning. Much depends on the transportation and other resources ($$$) you have available. Check out the thread for several good books and advice:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31482

Do you have 8 days to fish? Do you plan more than one trip? Don't discount fishing in the Anchorage area. If you can get a copy of Scott Haugen's book, you'll find many places worth considering in or near town. It depends a lot on your preferences.

Best of luck in August.

The second run of reds should be hitting at their peak in the Russian River around that time. I would try to get down there for at least a day or 2. Nothing like it anywhere I have been. You will have the chance to fly fish for the very nice rainbows and dollies in the same river. If you are going to be stuck in Anchorage at that time you might want to try to hit Ship creek right in the middle of Anchorage for the silvers that will be there around then.

Default august in alaska

hi zee-definately go to the russian river!!! lots of great fishing, big r-bows!
    take the hike to the falls, weir, very worth while! be prepared for grizzly bears, they like to fish too.. now, also do yourself a favor, honest, and do
    a float trip down the kenai with troutfitters in cooper landing, close to the
    russian. be sure to ask for either dusty or billy as your guide.. great chance at a 30" r-bow!! i've fished with both dusy and billy, don't know whos better but dustys a whole lot prettier, she's one hell of a fisherman!!
    besides troutfitters and the russian there are several lakes that you can hike into and fish for trout and don't forget quartz creek, the dollies might be starting to come into the creek following the reds, big dollies. i fished it
    with dave atcheson last august and we had a great time,he caught a 29"
    dolly there. take a bunch, like 3 or 4 dozen olive wolly-buggers, i kept
    running out last year. good luck. ps. dave has a book out about ak fishing
    that i'm sure would be helpful!! let me know how you do??? fisheye

Thanks for the info.....

BTW....what flies I should use? What Fly rod? I got 5WT, 4WT, 3WT and I want build 7 or 8 WT for my trip to Alaska. What tippet?

Thanks guy's.

Zee.

Default Good Luck

Zee,

Looks like you've gotten some good advice. Definitely check out the Russian. Nymphing on the Russian will feel similar to the Upper Kern. The trout are just much bigger plus you have the added bonus of the sockeyes. Bring your 5 wt for the trout and dollies and I would recommend building an 8 wt for salmon. If you haven't already purchased a blank you may want to check out Dan Craft's Five Rivers blanks. http://www.dancraftent.com/

I've built 3 rods from his blanks and have been very satisfied with the end result. In particular I built a 4 piece 9 ft 7 wt for a friend this winter using a Dan Craft Five Rivers FT blank. It is without question the best performing rod that I have built yet. A 4 piece 8 wt using a FT blank would be a very good rod for Alaska. I think Dan still offers a kit for around $150. Good luck with your decision.

Regarding tippet material, I generally tend to use fairly heavy tippets, 10 lb for trout and 15 for reds. I'm sure you'll get a range of opinions on this question.

Hope you have a great trip.

tt

Thanks RR.

Also I did some research about where I want spend my time and I come up with Qaurtz Creek in campground. And I think I can fish Qaurtz Creek, Russian and Kenain River.....I am correct?

Or?....

Thanks Zee.

Zee,
    If you are thinking about spending some time around the Kenai, I woiuld suggest going out with a guide one to 2 days. The ability to hit a lot more water with a boat and knowing the area will improve your fishing experience. If you are looking to get into some big rainbows, a guide for the middle kenai is the way to go. Here are a couple of guides to check out.

D-Ray Personal Guide Service,
    Dan is a great fisherman who knows the Kenai very well.
    http://www.d-ray.com/

Alaska Troutfitters is another great guide service. I have never fished with them as a client but did spend some time with Billy fishing. They are dialed in on the Upper Kenai.
    http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

Good luck on your trip.

Zee,

I don't want to put too much of a detour on your trip but the rivers north of Anchorage produce very well. I grew up fishing Willow and Montana Creek for rainbows. You could always get a charter from Talkeetna up to one of the less fished stream that flow into the Susitna River drainage. You can probably shop around and get a deal on charter in August.

Talkeetna is one of my favorite town in Alaska. I have spent many hours at the local bars Fairview and West Rib and then staggered to my free campsite on the banks of the Susitna River. The bonus is that you might wake up and have a chance to see the Highest Peak in North America - Denali. Don't call it Mt. Mckinley like the tourists.

Have a great time.

A little off topic but I've spent some time in the Czech Republic. Nice place! Any good fishing there?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Czech Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    A little off topic but I've spent some time in the Czech Republic. Nice place! Any good fishing there?
    Hi there,

How did you like it?
    Good fishing?....hmmm yah but you need to know where to go. If you will be there just let me know I will give you a lot of good info.

Zee.

Zee,
    I spent a couple months in the areas you are talking about here - camped at Quartz creek, took a guided trip on the Kenai with Troutfitters, fished the Willow and Montana. They are all great. Willow was my favorite, and I probably did the best there. You will have a great time no matter where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman View Post
    Hi there,

How did you like it?
    Good fishing?....hmmm yah but you need to know where to go. If you will be there just let me know I will give you a lot of good info.

Zee.
    I had a great time. I spent a week in Prague before christmas and it was great. The city is beautiful with all the trees and decorations. I really enjoyed the natural history museum and the communism museum. The snitzel at Jager's Sports bar was the BEST! Since I moved out of Europe I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

Oh, and the mulled (spiced) wine was fantastic!
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!