Thread: Easier trailering with Slip Plate #1

Default Easier trailering with Slip Plate #1

I recently painted the rear 2/3's of my hull bottom with a product called Slip Plate #1. Also applied it to the stomp grate. Did this for two reasons to make the boat slide off and on the trailer easier and to perhaps help it to skim over shallow gravel bars. Finally got the boat in the water yesterday and the first half of my expectations were met. The boat launched in far less water and I had to back off when putting it back on the trailer or I certainly would have over shot. Left about a foot for the winch to do and that too was much easier. This stuff is used in farm and construction equipment to make things slide in and out easier. I bought 6 spray cans for about $50 at Graingers and did the job with three so I will have plenty left for touch up.

http://www.slipplate.com/feature1.htm

I have to questions about it and if you could answer them it would be great. The first one is what did you have to do for prep work. And the second one is how thick did you get it. I am going to try it on my boat when I get home so any tips would be great.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

I have a question as well: so it slides on and off the trailer nicely, which would be handy, any noticeable change or improvement when in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by YZ426F View Post
    I have to questions about it and if you could answer them it would be great. The first one is what did you have to do for prep work. And the second one is how thick did you get it. I am going to try it on my boat when I get home so any tips would be great.
    I took my pressure washer and cleaned the bottom with that. After it dried I put on one coat of Slip Plate, taking care to make certain everything was well covered. It isn't very thick and dries to the touch almost immediately. After putting the boat back on the trailer I checked the bottom and found that it all held. Of course that was once on and once off, it will be interesting to see what it looks like by the end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have a question as well: so it slides on and off the trailer nicely, which would be handy, any noticeable change or improvement when in the water?
    I had thought that I might, but no, I didn't feel any change in handling. My thought is that it might help to get on step a little quicker and that it might help on gas consumption, but I couldn't verify either of those.

Thank you for the info. I'm going to try and get it about 3mm thick on the whole bottom. Not sure if it's going to work like I hope but going to try it. Thinking it might help slide a little when I hit gravel.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Keep us posted please.

Default Slippery trailer

I just replaced the bunks on my trailer. I used that Geo-Deck material (simulated wood) from a local decking company instead of wood. I sanded the material smooth with 220 grit paper then sprayed them with three coats of the Graphite paint from Graingers. The bunks will never rot, carpet won't erode and the boat slides on/off much easier. Note: Don't step on a damp bunk (the bruises will heal) they are really slick. I'm just glad the wife didn't have the video camera and no one was around. Whew!

Funny, too bad she didn't have a camera...

Default Ouch!

I'm not gonna repeat it so she can get good footage. Of course the 10K from world funniest video's might make the pain a little less. Hmmmm....