Thread: Lake Trout

Default Lake Trout

I just got back from a year of school and wrestling in Oregon. I was thinking about strapping my canoe or kayak on the top of my bronco and heading out to look for some lake trout. I was wondering if people have had any luck out in Louise or Byers lake. Any information would be appreciated!

We fished for about 2 hours last weekend and caught and released 2 at Louise. I don't know about fishing it with a canoe or kayak. It is a big place and can get rough quickly.

I fished Byers lake last year out of my sea kayak and caught one laker after about 4 hours of fishing. With that being said, I am pretty clueless when it comes to lake trout, so if you know what you are doing, you should do better than me. Super cool area if nothing else.

Thumbs down Louise and canoe

I 2nd Dirt's advice on using a canoe on Lk Louise. Way too much water and unpredictable winds. Maybe you could try Long Lake up on the Glenn Hwy. Good luck!

I'm not sure I'd do this with a kayak because I'm not that experienced in them but Paxon Lake can be a good place for lakers also. Fish the shallows from the launch south to the head of the Gulkana river.

There are a fair number of small (16" - 22") Lakers in Trail Lake by Moose Pass. I'm sure there also larger fish, but we've been catching these smaller ones.

Hey thank you guys for the advise and warnings. I have been in a canoe and a kayak all my life. I am very proficient in most any situation. I think that I will go out and troll around in my canoe a bit. Thank you fellas!