Thread: 8x or 10x Binoculars

Default 8x or 10x Binoculars

Which one do you use/ prefer and why....

I never saw anything with a set of 8x that I couldn't see better with 10x!

10x here, but I might buy some 8x for my wife as they're a bit lighter.

I have the 7X42 swarovski slc news - Love them, if I can't see through these then I know it's time to move to the spotting scope.

I use a 12x, but then again my neighbor in her bikini isnt really that far away.

ray
    Semper Fi!

Default Bino Power

If your glassing open country and good distance (like sheep hunting) then 10X all the way. If your a bowhunter or in thick brush and cover then 8X. However, I have used my 10X while bear baiting, sittin' in a tree stand, in thick trees and such and they worked fine, just don't have that much coin at my disposal to by a 10X and an 8X in swaros EL. Get the 10X's you'll be happy with them, not that much wt. diff between them in the EL's, not sure about the other brands...

Default Get the...

10 power. Had pair of steiners in 8 and compared with my buddy's Zeiss in 10 and there was no comparison. The 10's hands down!

I use 10's and love them. But could easily be happy with 8's.
    I once went against a friends opinion and purchased a pair of Leica 12's. I could not wait to get them sold. for me, 10's are the most "powerful" binos I can hand hold.
    Tennessee

I use 8x and have always liked them. Bigger field of view vs. the 10x, but if you go with higher dollar models it isn't a big issue. A buddy has a pair of 10x Leicas that are pretty nice.

The moose I hunt are at very close range most of the time under 100 yards. Last year my hunting partner could not see if a 60+ 3 bow tines moose was legal at 75 yards with a pair of 7x25 binocular. All he could see was moose. There is more to picking the correct binocular than power. The ones I carry are 7x42 good for close range and low light.

I started with 8's and then used 10's for years and have switched back to 8's the last couple years and like them much better. Larger FOV (generally) and a much more relaxed view. 10's are a bit shaky as opposed to 8's or even 7's (which many hunters love dearly), and if they are really lightweight 10's IMO that just makes things even worse. The exit pupil on a 8X bino is also bigger than a 10 which kinda gives you more of a picture window effect as opposed to looking through a little window, not near as critical of where your face is positioned to the eyepieces. Its best to look through several of each power and brand before deciding, everyones eyes and faces are different.

I have both. Use prefer the 8x. Larger field of view, easier to find my target quickly.

Not sure if its because I'm aging but I used 8's for years, last year my wife bought me new binos in 10. I thought I'll try'em and if I don't like them I'll go back to my 8s. Well the 8's are in the closet covered with dust and I've got a new favorite power.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I've been more concerned with the exit pupil than the magnification, so I would generally prefer the 8x. A little easier to look through in my opinion, all else being equal.

Default 10

I was in the same boat last year between the 8x or 10x Swaro's. I went with the 10 powers and have been very happy. If you tend to be a "shakey" person, you might want the 8 powers. Even after 5 cups of coffee, I can still hold the 10 power without bouncing around. Go to the store after a few cups of joe and look through a bunch of glass, it's the best way to see what you'll like and be comfortable with. Go at dusk so you can see what glass performs better in low light conditions too.

I spent a week hunting Elk with my 10x Zeiss and my partner had 8x Zeiss in the same model. All week he was begging to borrow mine. I use binoculars to see far away. I see more detail with 10x. Dusk has never been a problem, either. If I can see with my eyes, I can see with my binoculars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I spent a week hunting Elk with my 10x Zeiss and my partner had 8x Zeiss in the same model. All week he was begging to borrow mine. I use binoculars to see far away. I see more detail with 10x. Dusk has never been a problem, either. If I can see with my eyes, I can see with my binoculars.
    With my minox 10x43HG's I can see long after my eyes fail me!

Really like my 10x42 Nikon ATBs.
    Can`t hold the 12x steady enough.