Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounding Off Battery Of Hunting Rifles

Default Rounding Off Battery Of Hunting Rifles

Well I have decided what rifle and cartridge to round off my big game hunting battery. I have a 375Wby Mark V Custom that will handle the big stuff with the 300gr TSX anywhere I want to hunt. I also have a 300Wby Mark V Custom that is my reach out and touch them (long range) rifle with the 180gr bullet. To finish off my battery I found a 30-06 Mark V Synthetic for $725.00 and it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds and I will use it with a 165gr E-Tip or TSX for my general hunting purposes. I could not turn down the price or the Mark V. This rifle leaves me the option in the future to build another custom off the 6 lug Mark V. The 375Wby with the 300gr, 300Wby with the 180gr, and the 30-06 with the 165gr all in a Weatherby Mark V leaves me with a very good battery capable of handling any hunting situation on big game.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Rational for the 06 in my battery.

1. My 300Wby is not for 06 velocities but for long range out west hunting which I want the 180gr bullet. Nor do I want to have more than one go to round for the purpose of the 300Wby. So I do not want to adjust loads, scope and drop charts. The 300Wby is my heaviest rifle and for a good reason which is to help steady my rifle when taking very long shots.

2. For general purpose I wanted a shorter barrel (24" on 06) and a lighter rifle which it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds. I want to use a lighter bullet than my 300Wby for small to medium big game. Also a rifle to use in many wooded areas here in Mississippi with 300yds being a long shot.

3. The 30-06 is very, very versatile and very useful for my general hunting purposes. I have killed a lot of coyotes, hogs and whitetail over the years along with one black bear with a 30-06 using a 165gr bullet.

4. I decided on the 06 before I found the Mark V at such a great price. I thought about my uses and needs along with cost of bullets, selection and components. The 270Win was a real close contender but when I thought of a couple of places I would use an 06 I chose it over the 270.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, your battery is sadly lacking sir.

You do not yet have a .240, .257, .270, .7mm, .378, .416, or .460 Weatherby.

Then of course you don't have allllll the others.

And rational? Please, the R word is considered somewhat profane. The only rational is you want it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You sure said a mouth full, I sure did want it and got it
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yeah Beartooth, looks like a good battery there, except yer missing the cartridge for dangerous game weighing lessthan 5 lbs

Seriously, you can download the .375W with 300 grainers to ridiculously low levels and take game without messing up the meat, then pump it up with 235's or 270's (your preference), for a long-range heavy hitter. If you get down into brushy country that '06 with 240 grainers will hit hard and be easy to carry around.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Seriously, you can download the .375W with 300 grainers to ridiculously low levels and take game without messing up the meat, then pump it up with 235's or 270's (your preference), for a long-range heavy hitter. If you get down into brushy country that '06 with 240 grainers will hit hard and be easy to carry around.
    Yes, I think the 375Wby is really a great versatile cartridge and I can shoot some real good BC bullets for long range also. I have in the past and for some years when I had a bunch of 06's loaded the 250gr Barnes which I don't have any more of and also developed a load for my Kimber 06 using the 240gr Woodliegh and it shot extremely well.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Yeah Beartooth, looks like a good battery there, except yer missing the cartridge for dangerous game weighing lessthan 5 lbs
    Less than five pounds would be might light
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I agree with Nitro. You don't need another rifle. There is no rationale. You just wanted it and it was a good deal. Just call a spade a spade instead of waxing eloquent! Just from your posts here, I know you have (or had) a .257/300wby, 300, 375, and 460wby. Lets not forget the .350RemMag. What can't you do with the calibers / rifles you already had? Isn't that model7 pretty light? What can you do at "close" range with an '06 that you can't do with the .350? Yeah, forget rationale. Oh, "rounding off" seems to have the connotation of completion...... hahahhaahahaha! Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Less than five pounds would be might light
    By five pounds, you do know I mean the critter and not the gun eh?

To be more specific, I would *round off* my battery with a Copper 270 Win and shoot 110 gr BB's at about 3500 fps at dangerous 2 lb gophers and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I agree with Nitro. You don't need another rifle. There is no rationale. You just wanted it and it was a good deal. Just call a spade a spade instead of waxing eloquent! Just from your posts here, I know you have (or had) a .257/300wby, 300, 375, and 460wby. Lets not forget the .350RemMag. What can't you do with the calibers / rifles you already had? Isn't that model7 pretty light? What can you do at "close" range with an '06 that you can't do with the .350? Yeah, forget rationale. Oh, "rounding off" seems to have the connotation of completion...... hahahhaahahaha! Yeah, right.
    completion seems to be what I'm looking for (yearn for ?) but can't quite get there. hopefully we never will get there!

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    HA!!!! you nailed it on the head and MontanaRifleman summed it up with any game over five pounds and Eastwoods said it all that completion is what I yearn for trying to complete this never ending gun search.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

.220 swift, .270 winchester, and .375 H&H is mine and honestly, I don't NEED anything else....But I WANT a whole lot more

cant wait til the next time you change your mind!
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

Quote Originally Posted by mnbirddog View Post
    cant wait til the next time you change your mind!
    Just might be a while considering the fact that my wife has made comments the last two times I purchased a rifle or and had custom work done. Will have to cool it. I really don't need anymore but it is so much fun to get a rifle develop loads and then go hunt something with it. I still need to kill something with my new 375Wby and the new 30-06 because I have killed game with the 300Wby and the 22-250.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's a pretty ideal spread of calibers, but reflecting ONLY the way I hunt, I find a couple of rifles missing in your spread, but not calibers by any means.

By nature I'm a stalker. Sure I've got the long range stuff and use it when needed, but my crank really gets to spinning when I can move close to the game. My bag and not yours, but I'd sure miss having a light, handy rifle with a receiver sight intended for close, fast work. I've got a number of models and calibers that fit the bill, but they'd be next to useless if you didn't get into the brush and tight timber to mine for game like I do.

The second gun that I'd miss is a good traditional muzzleloader. I just really like them for shooting and for hunting, and especially to make accessories for when I can't get in the field. It's another get-in-close kind of hunting for sure (I almost always stalk to within 50 yards for a shot), but it also is kinda neat to explore through the technology and techniques that our forefathers used. My current favorite caliber is 58, and that one is pointing me toward a 62 or 69 caliber. Those were the "big bores" way back before a metalic cartridge was even a gleam in anyone's eye. Again, not a reflection on your battery, rather a reflection on me and the way I hunt.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Laugh if you want.

But this is a serious issue.

See here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a pretty ideal spread of calibers, but reflecting ONLY the way I hunt, I find a couple of rifles missing in your spread, but not calibers by any means.

By nature I'm a stalker. Sure I've got the long range stuff and use it when needed, but my crank really gets to spinning when I can move close to the game. My bag and not yours, but I'd sure miss having a light, handy rifle with a receiver sight intended for close, fast work. I've got a number of models and calibers that fit the bill, but they'd be next to useless if you didn't get into the brush and tight timber to mine for game like I do.

The second gun that I'd miss is a good traditional muzzleloader. I just really like them for shooting and for hunting, and especially to make accessories for when I can't get in the field. It's another get-in-close kind of hunting for sure (I almost always stalk to within 50 yards for a shot), but it also is kinda neat to explore through the technology and techniques that our forefathers used. My current favorite caliber is 58, and that one is pointing me toward a 62 or 69 caliber. Those were the "big bores" way back before a metalic cartridge was even a gleam in anyone's eye. Again, not a reflection on your battery, rather a reflection on me and the way I hunt.
    I really like the thick timber and brush hunting big hogs and well hidden big bucks. That is what I use my shorter barreled rifles for and I have two lever rifles that I use to use a lot a 444 Marlin and a 45-70 Marlin also I have 4 muzzle loaders all tradition muzzle loaders and my favorite is my 50cal. flint lock. Some times I like to get real close and have overseas. The above mentioned rifles of this post are just my main go to rifles and the ones they replaced. I agree with you that getting close is a lot of fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Going to try the new BC improved design of the 168gr TSX in front of IMR4350, H4350 and H4831sc and which one gives me best accuracy with top velocities I will go with. I am in a debate with my self over Winchester or Remington brass but I am sure I will try both. If I can get the 168gr TSX close to or just a little over 2900fps as a friend of mine has in his Mark V 06 then that would really cover a lot of hunting and game. Would really be a good general hunting round for a variety of game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Have you considered the 168 gr TTSX? I assume your talking about your 300 mag? I would think you should be able to easily get 3100 fps if not 3200?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast