Thread: DIY fishing in Seward

Default DIY fishing in Seward

Visiting my brother in Alaska for the next few weeks and looking to exchange my striped bass fishing on the east coast for some Kings in Alaska. I have a halibut trip lined up as well as a float trip on the Gulkana for kings. I have a couple of days in Seward while he attends meetings and was hoping to do some DIY fishing. I'' have access to a car and don't mind hiking a few miles each way to avoid the crowds. Any recommendations would be great. I have both fly and spin set ups.

Default Seward

There is a boat rental place in Seward where you can rent small boats to take out in the Harbor. I'm not sure what salmon fishing would be like there now but there may be some kings around, but it would be early for silvers. With the boat you would also have access to some decent halibut and cod fishing. My friend gets good halibut every year form one of there little rental boats and has caught them up to 100lbs. There are tons of roadside opportunities within 2 hours or less for many species, I would pick up a "highway Angler" book and check all the area roads and timing of runs. The boat rental place is called "Miller's" and I think its the only one in town.
    Good Luck--Seward is great town.
    Greg

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think renting a boat may not be the wisest move for me but I appreciate the book suggestion. Hope you catching a few yourself.

Highway Angler. Get it. Seriously.

Not only will it give you tons on info, but it will also make this forum board more useful for you.

Ex. When you read other titles like: "Wasilla Kings - Klutina Reds - Pinks Valdez" etc. This might confuse you for now, but after reading the book, all of this will make sense to you.

I had a thread I started a few weeks ago about how useful books are...

Ill find it and post it back.

Where are you from on the East Coast? You sound like me about 4 months ago.

Ill find that link
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Hey Baja,

here is that post.

Are you the guy that I pointed in the direction from the stripers forum???

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=read
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Yup, that's me. This forum has been great with loads of info. Matching places with species and how to get there has been a bit labor intensive...my desk is covered in maps! Sounds like this book will help. I'm staying in Anchorage overnight and found the book at Borders so will grab it then. I'll check your thread as well.
    Boston is home these days...hoping the Celtics can wrap it up Tuesday. Judging from your pics looks like you guys are having quite a time. Keep them coming!