Thread: Ebbtide's Fuel Usage

Default Ebbtide's Fuel Usage

Sorry it took so lond to get these numbers out. I know a few of you have been anxiously awiting these numbers. I still have not gotten a weight on the boat. I have yet to see an open DOT scales. Weather during the collection of these numbers was less then cooperative. There were about 1-2 foot rollers with calm winds. Did not get the extreme end of the scale but at least you will have a general idea from these numbers. Boat is a 27 foot Glacier Craft with twin 150 yamaha 4-strokes and about 150 gallons on board and 2 people.

RPM GPH Speed
    1000 1.8 2.5
    2000 4.0 6.1
    2500 8.5 7.5
    3000 10 10.6
    3100 11 16.1
    3400 13.2 19.5
    3500 12.7 20.4
    3700 15.0 23.0
    3800 14.8 25.2
    4000 16.0 26.6
    4500 21.4 31.7
    5000 28.5 37.0

Hope that was helpful.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Ebbtide,

What props are you running and what is your WOT rpm and speed? Do you have any bloody deck pictures yet? Let me know when you are planing your next trip to the Sound and I will try to coordinate a trip with you. I am still trying to dial in props and work out a few bugs with Patience, but am pretty close. I sure am impressed with how these hulls ride.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Used the stock props which are I guess stamped on the back because I could not find any markings on the front. Weather out of Ninilchik rarely gets smooth enough for WOT. Did hit WOT in PWS and was doing 45-47 mph on very calm seas at 6000 rpms but the flow meters were not working at that point so I got no econ data. Overall pretty happy with the stock props.
    MMSI#

You are right in there. I bet you can squeek out some better economy if you went stainless. I know a 26' GC with twin F 150's that is running a pair of four blade solas stainless props burning between 13-15 g/hr cruising in the mid 30's m/hr. I can put you in touch with him if you would like. What was the deal with the FM guage? My port side tach was set for two stroke initially. Weird to see the tach hit 9999 rpm! Easy fix, though. I just had to pull the tach and flip a couple of dip sticks to match the starboard tach.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Ebbtide,

What props are you running and what is your WOT rpm and speed? Do you have any bloody deck pictures yet? Let me know when you are planing your next trip to the Sound and I will try to coordinate a trip with you. I am still trying to dial in props and work out a few bugs with Patience, but am pretty close. I sure am impressed with how these hulls ride.
    Spoiled One,

Forgot to mention, 130 lb Halibut came over the side Tuesday. Along with a few of her friends. And, I agree the the hull/ride is incredible. I was out in 6-7 footers that were capping and not a care in the world. It was like "wow, that was a big one".
    MMSI#

HEY EBBTIDE!

Thanks for the numbers! I have to admit I am in alittle shock right now as I was thinking 30mph would be more in the ballpark of 15GPH. Are those stainless three blade props?

My Hewes had a Yami 150 on it and at 5000 RPMs it would burn around 10.5 GPH. Reguardless of the boat would have guessed the RPM to Fuel Useage would be the same for the motor, guess its more about load?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Fuel Usage

Ebbtide - Nice boat. Are your speed numbers knots or mph? My 26 Osprey LC with 5.7 gasser with Duoprops would get burn 15 gph on the Floscan while cruising at 26 knots for comparison. I've got a Shamrock 270 Mackinaw now with single 315 hp diesel inboard now that goes a bit slower cruising 20 kts and burns about 9 gph for early numbers with 2000 lbs more boat.

Good fishing!

Fish Witch

The speed is in MPH and the props are stock aluminum. Remember these were not idea conditions. I think flat seas and stainless props will help alot.
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    The speed is in MPH and the props are stock aluminum. Remember these were not idea conditions. I think flat seas and stainless props will help alot.
    I think reproping will help allot. Only problem with reproping is you have to have a baseline, gotta start somewhere right! Glad to see you on the water. Would like to see you get above 2mpg, for my own reasons of course. You talk to the guys at A1 about what they think would be a suitable prop?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I think reproping will help allot. Only problem with reproping is you have to have a baseline, gotta start somewhere right! Glad to see you on the water. Would like to see you get above 2mpg, for my own reasons of course. You talk to the guys at A1 about what they think would be a suitable prop?
    Hit the nail on the head. Really don't feel I have a base line yet. That was the first run after the flowmeters were installed. Seas were not cooperative and the rpms were jumping around pretty good. Need calm seas in Cook Inlet, 4 or 5 props to check out and a whole day to run the numbers. Yea, dream on.
    MMSI#