Thread: How are Seward Halibut doing?

Default How are Seward Halibut doing?

Looking to go down to Seward next weekend (6/21) and maybe go out on a halibut charter. There are spots on some very reputable charters available. Anybody have any idea how the fishing is doing? I read a report from a few weeks ago (for this same charter) that said they went out and limited on chickens. For nearly $300, I'd like to have a better shot at least at something a little bigger. Is waiting until July a better idea?

Last year I went on 2 charters out of Ninilchik and only ended up with about 12 packs of halibut overall. Quite disappointing. I am hoping to avoid that scenario this year. Better to wait a little longer?

Looking at the tide book. Next weekend is going to have marginal tides to fish with. Fish can be caught, just the tides will be alittle bit strong.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

A group of us from work fished on four boats out of Seward on Monday...there lots of nice fish including at least 6 between 70-90 and one at 135...several 30-60 and then the usual bunch from 15-30 to round out limits. Saw another 6-pac with a couple of 100's and a bunch from 40-80, too. Mid-late June is primetime down there usually, especially around Montague. And, everything I've heard from the captains I fish with, is that Seward is the opposite of Homer, in that you WANT bigger tides...the water movement keeps the scent trail going...we usually catch more fish when the tide is flowing good rather than at slack.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    A group of us from work fished on four boats out of Seward on Monday...there lots of nice fish including at least 6 between 70-90 and one at 135...several 30-60 and then the usual bunch from 15-30 to round out limits. Saw another 6-pac with a couple of 100's and a bunch from 40-80, too. Mid-late June is primetime down there usually, especially around Montague. And, everything I've heard from the captains I fish with, is that Seward is the opposite of Homer, in that you WANT bigger tides...the water movement keeps the scent trail going...we usually catch more fish when the tide is flowing good rather than at slack.
    Great report nickster. Who did you go out with?

I fished with Steve on the Pursuit (Profish-N-Sea), and we had guys on boats with Glacier's Edge, Alaskan Summertime, and I think Whitebear. The Crackerjack had a real nice limit for the six guys as well (they strung their fish on the rack right before us).
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.