Thread: "best" OTC 300 WSM ammo

Default "best" OTC 300 WSM ammo

I have a friend who just purchased a Kimber 300 WSM and doesn't handload. As far as accuracy, what has been your experience with the available factory loaded options?

I think each rifle would be different. I would just experiment, probably starting with Fed Prem. I know a guy who has shot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds with Fed Blue Box out of his SAKO 75

When I bought my rifle the counter guy threw in a box of the Federal Blue box 165 grainers and a box of the Federal Premium 180 grainers. The rifle was a Kimber Montana and it showed an overall preference for the 180 grain TSX bullets. Every rifle is different, but I would start there. My hand loading has shown the rifle prefers bullets on the heavy end and even shoots 200 grain TSXs incredibly accurate.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

My KImber likes the Fed Premium 165TSX's better than anything else, though it likes the 180 Partitions as well just not quite as tight a group. The 165 TSX's killed a ram, a blacktail buck and a moose last year, all one shot DRT kills.

I have been able to shoot consitent 1" groups at 100 yards with Federal Fusion 180 gr. They are remarkably accurate for the price. I have used them in my Browning A-bolt.

Default 300 WSM ammo/Kimber 8400

To respond to my own question and to provide info to others that might find the response useful. My friend ran some 40 rounds of Winchester factory ammo 180 gr Power Points thru his rifle with about 6" groups. I reshot another 20 rounds of the same stuff with maybe 2 - 3" groups. Next I tried some Federal Premium ("red box") with 180 grain Barnes TSX - big difference: 1/2" to 1" five shot groups. Also noted increased recoil which correlated with the 20 shot chronograph average vel 12' from the muzzle of 3085.5 fps. The Power Points were running in the 2950 to 2980 fps range. As an aside the Barnes TSX are now (and actually have been for some time now) my first go to bullet for reloading all of my 30 calibers. Thanx for the input and suggestions and good luck to everyone for their hunts this fall.

I always start with Federal. Very rarely do I need to try another brand.
    Now what ?

Default Thanks

Just got a Browning Ti, looking for some info on what ammo to buy. Very helpful post.