Thread: New Sitka Gear

Default New Sitka Gear

I know there are many threads on Sitka, But I was just in Sportsmans, and was checking out the new 2008 Sitka gear, That Sitka Nimbus Jacket Is really nice,but I can't believe the price...$349...Wow, talk about price gouging, but they have improved everything, the new celsius gear is nice too.

It gets to the point of ridiculousness. I love good gear as much as the next guy, but have a hard time parting with any more than $150 for a jacket. With a $50 fleece jacket and my Impertech raincoat I am a happy camper for under $125.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It gets to the point of ridiculousness. I love good gear as much as the next guy, but have a hard time parting with any more than $150 for a jacket. With a $50 fleece jacket and my Impertech raincoat I am a happy camper for under $125.
    I agree! To outfit myself with rain gear it was $85 at Boonies in ER for the HH delux jacket & bibs. To get the nimbus jacket and pants it would run me $670!!!!! If I am going to drop that kind of money for gear it better say Hilleberg on the side and look a whole lot like a really sweet tent! (or at least kill stuff)

I just got back from Sportsmans where I checked out the new 90% jacket. My initial impression is that you get less jacket for more $$. The jacket seems to be thinner than my wifes 07 version. They eliminated the hood this year as well. I may still jump on the new jacket but I wanted some of you who have the old jacket to let me know if you think the changes are "improvements"?

I have the old 90% jacket, with the hood , but the hood zips off, its not worth for me to change when this one works, a few changes however, with the zippers and pockets, the new one is nice however, I have to live with the '07 model, the wife would kill me....The Nimbus Jacket is the one I want, Talk about less for more $$$, That is probably the most expensive jacket they carry, and its only a rain jacket. There is some Sitka online (last years models) for pretty cheap right now.....CK

I ordered the 07 90% jacket in 3XLfrom Mountain Archery. $194 shipped sure beats the 250 for the 08 and for a better jacket to boot!

If you look at the Nimbus jacket you'll find it looks almost identical to a certain Arcteryx jacket thats on the market....Might explain the price tag

I'm all about dropping money on good gear but good god!!! I think Sitka has the most brilliant marketing department. They have got folks buying that high priced stuff when their truly are cheaper products that work just as well. I'm not saying Sitka isn't nice gear but it's WWWAAAYYY overpriced for what you get.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Default Price versus diminishing returns?

Trade-offs: Many don't mind spending more when it's worth it, but I agree high-tech clothing materials have reached a practical limit.
    Gearing up for my first hunt this Fall, I realized there'd be trade-offs when thinking about rifle vs scope,
    (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25621). Now it's down to: hunting garment vs rangefinder. Can't see the sense in that. Hard to see the gain of $100-$200 more in a jacket or pants, whereas in a rangefinder it might be worth it in making a better hunt. I can't spend more on everything and especially all at once.

High-end materials now are expensive elsewhere too though.
    When that breathable/stretch/waterproof material (Schoeller cloth) was added to waders/wading jackets, I remember at the Gr Ak Sprts Show (4 yrs ago?) seeing high end Simms/Patagonia wading jackets for $350. "Yeah, rrrigght!", I thought. High-end technical jackets are still $350-$450. At Barney's now, they've got a digital camo stretch/waterproof/breathable jacket that's $440 or so. Nice stuff and might be the right gear for someone, but not for me and especially not now.

I guess we all have our tipping point on reliable function vs price. Last year's gear (including Sitka) was pretty good. If you can find your size (anything but large or medium!) deals might still be available.

Supplies dwindling: I had ordered the 2007 90% Pant (better thigh pocket design IMO) in large. The 90% Pant though runs "larger"- way too big for my 34" waist. By the time I sent it back for a medium, Sitka told me they were sold out of (2007) medium 90% Pants.

Fall season coming up!

I got my 2007 jacket yesterday and I am pleased. It took right at a month to arrive but it was due to Sitka shipping too Mountain Archery. At 3 weeks they offered to send me a 08 model at no extra charge! I stuck by and they put the screws to Sitka to get the 07' jacket. I didn't take them up on the free upgrade but they were a class act to offer it! They also have the old style timberline vest for $80 and the Mountain Pants for $97.

Default Correction:

$184 for the 90% Jacket? Wow. And they have plenty of sizes left - and only $11 for shipping? That's excellent.

Correction to my last post. Picked up my pack today at Barney's. That's good, but noticed that other Schoeller cloth, digital camo jacket is called "MultiCam" (by Otte) and is priced at $419, not $440.

They didn't have their Sitka shipment in yet.

I have a feeling they will be dropping Sitka. The choice Sitka made to allow S/W to carry the line in Anchorage as well as the changes to the new line will likely eliminate it from the shelves of Barneys as well as Wiggys AK.

Default $$$$$?????

Do you really want to spend that kind of money on outdoor equipment that is just going to get all bloody??

Default Considerations...

I too have run the gamot of gear. After investing over 3 Franklins on some boots, hard, but to me, effective. After all, it is your feet that get you in and back out!

Last year I had the River's West gear. It was the rant and rave so of course I took the plunge. I hated it. The jacket lacks a radial sleeve, wrist closure and fits like any fleece coat. The rain worthiness was decent. Although I did not get wet, the fleece got so saturated it was heavy and cumbersome. When wet, its breatheable properties are compromised and you get wet from your own sweat. Bye Bye RW!

The same time last year is when I first heard about Sitka gear. The sticker shock was enough to keep me away. I was still interested and inquired more. I heard of production flaws/quality control faltered in '07, but the '08 line up was better. I tried the 90% jacket and it felt good. Fit and function, excellent. Nimbus, looks alot like my Marmot Precip, just missing camo and 2/3's of the cost. Celcius, don't know enough to comment on.

My real question is their rain worthiness, especially the 90% Jacket. I have had numerous soft shells that leak for one reason or another. I surely won't shell out 300 bones for a label... Sitka Owners: Please advise
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    I too have run the gamot of gear. After investing over 3 Franklins on some boots, hard, but to me, effective. After all, it is your feet that get you in and back out!

Last year I had the River's West gear. It was the rant and rave so of course I took the plunge. I hated it. The jacket lacks a radial sleeve, wrist closure and fits like any fleece coat. The rain worthiness was decent. Although I did not get wet, the fleece got so saturated it was heavy and cumbersome. When wet, its breatheable properties are compromised and you get wet from your own sweat. Bye Bye RW!

The same time last year is when I first heard about Sitka gear. The sticker shock was enough to keep me away. I was still interested and inquired more. I heard of production flaws/quality control faltered in '07, but the '08 line up was better. I tried the 90% jacket and it felt good. Fit and function, excellent. Nimbus, looks alot like my Marmot Precip, just missing camo and 2/3's of the cost. Celcius, don't know enough to comment on.

My real question is their rain worthiness, especially the 90% Jacket. I have had numerous soft shells that leak for one reason or another. I surely won't shell out 300 bones for a label... Sitka Owners: Please advise
    I have the 07 90% and it is good for showers but not rain. I wpent 5 hours out at my sons soccer tournament and it rained solid. After a couple hours it started too seep along the shoulder seams a bit. It was not bad though and I was mostly dry after the 5 hours total time. It is not a replacement for rain gear in the rain but the DWR seems to do a fair job of bucking the water for short periods of time. The mountain pants also bead up nice and will repell water for a while befor it begins to stop beading and starts to saturate the fabric. The good thing is that when it stops raining the gear dries very rapidly. As for the nimbus gear, I bought my Hilleberg tent for less than that rain suit would cost and that is REDICULOUS!

I'm a dealer, and I'm staying away from the '08 Line. They jacked up a perfectly good line.

If you can find a '07 90% Jacket, I suggest picking it up. It's the bomb.

The '08 is thinner, has no hood, and has annoying zippers that look like racing stripes right up the front of a camouflage garment. (?)

Took away the cargo pocket on all pants?! That was the beauty of it...

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'm a dealer, and I'm staying away from the '08 Line. They jacked up a perfectly good line.

If you can find a '07 90% Jacket, I suggest picking it up. It's the bomb.

The '08 is thinner, has no hood, and has annoying zippers that look like racing stripes right up the front of a camouflage garment. (?)

Took away the cargo pocket on all pants?! That was the beauty of it...

Taylor
    What are you thinking of carrying to replace Sitka?

Default Sitka '08

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    What are you thinking of carrying to replace Sitka?
    People are still going to buy the '08 stuff no matter what, if its a newer, and better innovation, lighter, packable their going to get it. I've seen what the average joe spends to hunt this great state, aside from ATV's , Jet Boats, Diesel trucks, toy haulers, tents, campers,guns optics and Bush Planes. there AIN'T no Question.....their still going to get it.