Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clipping tails is stupid

Default Clipping tails is stupid

It is stupid. All the dip netters I've talked to do it to stock the freezer. Nobody wants to sell their fish. Clipping with a knife is a pain. Scissors work best, but why should we have to lug extra gear that doesn't multi-task?

Who clips tails? I've done it just because I saw others do it and figured they knew ADFG was checking. Never been asked or inspected.

Most the time I don't. Sometimes I fillet right on the spot making the legal reason for it pointless. So two things:

1. Has anybody been fined for not clipping?

2. Do you think the rule for clipping has merit?

If no on the latter, we do have a method to get the rule changed if enough of us agree.

Default Not really "stupid"

I always clip. Carry a 2oz pair of EMT shears (they have MANY other uses) and it takes all of 3 seconds to snip the tails.

Yes, they do cite for it. It used to be that they'd cite if you had a pile of fish on the beach and hadn't gotten to clipping them yet. The new rule states you clip before leaving the site, which made it much easier on the fisherman and gave less reason for Napoleon-complex fish-n-feathers officers to use up their ticket books in competitive fashion.

The reason is to separate personal use catch from sport or commercial catch. While the justification may be minimal, there is reason for it. It's no worse a rule than immediately logging your sport catch on your license or immediately notching your big game tag. It seems silly to even worry about this rule.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    The reason is to separate personal use catch from sport or commercial catch. While the justification may be minimal, there is reason for it. It's no worse a rule than immediately logging your sport catch on your license or immediately notching your big game tag. It seems silly to even worry about this rule.
    Agreed. This rule has never seemed burdensome, even when catching 70 fish between two people in a few hours. There are far more important issues to devote my time to than fighting a rule that does have some use and doesn't present a significant burden. Incidentally, I find it easiest to "clip" using a sharp butcher's knife against a cutting board. I bleed 5-7 fish at a time in a tote filled with water, then cut the tails as I toss them on ice after bleeding for a few minutes.

The rule should only be applied if taking your fish out of the river... and even then it seems kind of pointless; no one ever checks.

-Kitchen sheers work the best for us

Default clipping tails..

I'm sure now that you have mentioned that nobody ever checks, the fish n fur cops will be all over it. Doesn't seem to be a burden though since it is not until you leave the fishing area that you have to clip the tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    no one ever checks.
    How many times have you been dipnetting, Fw? Simply because you haven't been checked in your few years of experience doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I've been checked and was in full compliance.

I purchased these from sears to have around the garage but took them the last time I dipnetted.

Snip snip done.

Well, if you makes you feel any better, I got checked on the same day three (really) times last year.

Default Clipping

For myself it does not seem like a big deal, it only takes a few second per fish. They do check!! I was checked 2 years ago for that and my dipnet permit. So make sure you record your fish. He did hassle me for being off on my date by 1 day. I asked someone what was the date, my fault for listining to someone else.

Default It is stupid IMO

But hey we have to follow the law. Common sense often does not apply when we are talking about law.
    I use a hatchet and block, I find it pretty easy and quick. I have nothing to complain about though, I am very happy we can dipnet and get a lot of the very best fish in the world for free. I'll clip those fins and smile the whole time.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I'm sure now that you have mentioned that nobody ever checks, the fish n fur cops will be all over it. Doesn't seem to be a burden though since it is not until you leave the fishing area that you have to clip the tails.
    Yeah, I thought about that too but this is an open forum in a free country.

True it's not much of an inconvenience but I'm opposed to stupid rules nonetheless. Letting small things slide invites more stupid rules.

Default made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Snip snip done.

Made me think of some minor surgery and a bag of frozen peas!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Snip snip

So now your dip net doesn't catch fish?

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    So now your dip net doesn't catch fish?
    More than likely his fish dont swim upstream.

Default maybe this will help TR

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Yeah, I thought about that too but this is an open forum in a free country.

True it's not much of an inconvenience but I'm opposed to stupid rules nonetheless. Letting small things slide invites more stupid rules.
    Calling the rule stupid when you do not know the history is not the best way to get any answer, especially from those who support the rule. But here it goes.

1. PU fish have to be separated from commercial and sport caught fish because of differential limits. Cutting the tails of PU fish makes sense in this context, One could make sport fisherman cut the tails but sport caught slamon have trophy/photo aspects, as opposed to meat for the PU fishery so PU fish are the best choice.

2. The volume of fish caught in a PU fishery makes it ripe for trying to put fish into a commercial market. All fisheries have illegal operators and the combination of an illegal PU fisherman and commercial fishing permit holder teaming up is not out of line. The PU fisherman catches 50 fish at 300 pounds and that goes directly to a processor who has no idea if the fish was a PU fish or not. With the tails cut the commercial processor can act as an enforcement agent. If they buy the fish with tails cut they are cited as well. By having the requirment that tails be cut immediately protection can work to eliminate this practice or at least deter it.

3. Protection does check on the tails, especially in PU fisheries that are close to intense sport and commercial fisheries. In the UCI PU fisheries they check on a schedule that is not predictable so they can keep the illegal public guessing and help to deter them from operations.

A few years ago a group of people had a commercial operation working out of Skilak Lake - they were not commercial fishing permit holders. There were a number of people with boats and nets and coolers - they were selling fish to a network of people ( illegal markets).

They claimed when stopped away from the lake they had harvested the fish in a legal sport/PU fishery. However, without the tails being cut the fish were treated as illegal commercial harvest which was a much more serious charge. Follow up led to the operation on Skilak Lake. I testified in this case on one aspect of it.

So while it is a small pain to cut the tails it is necessary because a small percentage of our society will break the law. Therefore, it is not a stupid law as the frequency of law breaking is greater than tolerable levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    How many times have you been dipnetting, Fw? Simply because you haven't been checked in your few years of experience doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I've been checked and was in full compliance.

We've been dipnetting four times; never been checked, never seen anybody being checked- Just my experience
    Edit (Been dipnetting four years, been out 7 times)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    We've been dipnetting four times; never been checked, never seen anybody being checked- Just my experience
    Edit (Been dipnetting four years, been out 7 times)
    That's my point, Fw - 7 times is a pretty small sample size to say that they don't ever check. I would say that I am checked by a Fish and Wildlife officer at most 5% of the time that I'm out fishing or hunting. It's not often, but it does happen. Although I would follow the laws anyhow because of their importance for conservation, I'm checked often enough that it would keep me honest if I ever were tempted to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's my point, Fw - 7 times is a pretty small sample size to say that they don't ever check. I would say that I am checked by a Fish and Wildlife officer at most 5% of the time that I'm out fishing or hunting. It's not often, but it does happen. Although I would follow the laws anyhow because of their importance for conservation, I'm checked often enough that it would keep me honest if I ever were tempted to break the law.

We always clip the tails and follow the laws anyhow, I just think the rule should only apply if you're taking the fish in their entirety out of the water, we filet them on our boat making the clipping the tails thing seem unneccessary (but required)

Default Been at it 30 years

Been hunting and fishing up here for over 30 years. Two years ago was the first time I have ever been asked for my fishing license. This was at the Deshka and I was the only one who had a fish on a stringer. So was I lucky or just looked legal all these years? Don't know but it doesn't matter. Just try to follow the rules. Try, that is all anyone can do. If need be, you can try to explain to the judge late on. Good luck to all and let us all try to keep each other in line. If you see someone doing something against the rules, just say excuse me, but I have seen people cited for doing that, you might want to change up. That is not confrontational just nicely pass on what you see wrong. If you get a nasty responce? Just tell em, your ass, not mine... Bye. That is all that it takes--- Goood Luck, Ken

There's a bit of confusion here. Some are saying the rules should just be followed. I agree, with following good rules and with encouraging others to do so.

My point is why follow a stupid rule? And if the rule is stupid (as judged by the majority) then it should be erradicated. So far in this forum I'm in the minority.

Nerka,

Good points and well laid out. One thing you said brought my attention to something. Sport fish tails do not have to be clipped becuase of "trophy/photo aspects". Why the exception here? After all when the Russian is hot, sport fisherman can catch 6 reds per day. In a 5 day work week that's 30 - the limit for personal use in Chitina. And now it follows in my mind the reason dip netters need to clip is even more inane.

Also, how many dip netters take their fish to a processor? I know zero. The reason people participate in personal use is becuase we want a cheap way to fill our freezer. Operative word is cheap. Everyone I've observed fillets on the spot or shortly there after. My catch is filleted right after I'm done dipping. I would not be taking whole fish to a processor nor would I consider paying one to handle my fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast