Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek Report #2

Default Ship Creek Report #2

Went down again today for the high tide... absolteuly PACKED up and down the stream until you got out past all the bridges. Didn't look like up from the bridges was getting many fish but downstream I saw atleast 15 hooked in 2 hours. They all seemed to be coming out of one 40 foot hole.... (Ill be there next time)

Only problem with the hole was that a steep bank prevented some fisherman from getting their fish before breaking off, however still saw probably 10 landed tonight.

Average seemed to be about 15-20 pounds.

Things are finally getting better, sounds like the deshka had an absolutely great day so Ship can only get to the point where everyones catching fish (Should be soon)

Tight lines-
    Nick

Hope you land one, Nick. Be sure to take a picture & post it when you do!

what were hooked? kings or silvers/pinks?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Twin Turbo View Post
    what were hooked? kings or silvers/pinks?

Only thing runnin right now is kings

Default Had one

on last night - a decent sized fish. The fella next to me was a might bit slow in reeling in his line - his lure crackered me fairly quick. I didn't get excited about his error - it happens when there are lots of fishermen - comes with the territory.

Saw a couple (three) landed two really nice fish in the 30ish area - dime bright.

Default **** creek

well went down there for sunday moring and didnt get a thing. saw some fish taken out and one 40lbs that won the derby. seemed all were coming off of roe and i didnt have any since i dont buy store bought and havent caught a king yet this year. fish were up and down the creek saw more below the bridges but still not like they should be though. u can usually look off the bridges and see schools of them out there swimming but nothing. well the creek try lives to my expectations. i hate fishing it but thats all i could fish since it was a family weekend not a fishing. well good luck all and maybe ill see you in the matsu area next weekend.

I don't know why everyone hates ship creek so much. I have 3 fish in the freezer all in the 20s and have landed 6, hooked up with prolly 10. All on vibrax. People have been nothing but nice and always willing to net my fish for me. I fish up by the mouth and the crowd seems to be made up of very nice people.

Default Ship Creek Blues

About a 3,000 guys down there this morning hitting the incoming tide with Vibrax or eggs. Saw ONE fish on in 1 1/2 hrs (until 7:30 high tide). If it would've gotten any slower, time would've started moving backwards (maybe back to last summer, when there were some fish ...)

One thing, though, is that the warm weather the last few days seems to have finally started the Chugach snow pack melting. So much muddy water was churning down Ship that it seemed like an outgoing tide. Big logs were coming down through the channel right before slack tide.

Hopefully after the "blowout" is over, and the water clears up a bit, things will improve. But I've been saying that for how many weeks now?

Default been sayin

the same thing....but we both might be wrong. Fished last night down by the mouth drowning eggs. Saw 1 good fish caught and 1 small one, and 2 jacks - very very very slow - and twice as many people as on Sunday.

Worse part - There was a family w/ a few kids. Grandpa was tyin up for them - and not making them pay attention to what they were doing. one of the boys casted over the guy next to him (who was next to me) several times - tangling him several times in succession - we finally told the guy to cut the line - and myself - I would have thrown the lure into the water. After he cut it to get untangled - the kid went back to pa - he tied on a new one - then the kid wrapped him up again. The kid didn't know how to fish (prob 13 years old) neither did ma - and he had a pixie on with a couple eggs dabbled on the trebble - and was whipping it like no tomorrow - I was hoping that he would poke out his eye. Had I been the guy next to him - his grandpa probably would have ended up in the muddy water.

I have fished it quite a few times and this was the worse behavior I have seen so far - most of the time it is pretty reasonable - some people are just stupid....ain't no fixin that.

Default Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    the same thing....but we both might be wrong. Fished last night down by the mouth drowning eggs. Saw 1 good fish caught and 1 small one, and 2 jacks - very very very slow - and twice as many people as on Sunday.

Worse part - There was a family w/ a few kids. Grandpa was tyin up for them - and not making them pay attention to what they were doing. one of the boys casted over the guy next to him (who was next to me) several times - tangling him several times in succession - we finally told the guy to cut the line - and myself - I would have thrown the lure into the water. After he cut it to get untangled - the kid went back to pa - he tied on a new one - then the kid wrapped him up again. The kid didn't know how to fish (prob 13 years old) neither did ma - and he had a pixie on with a couple eggs dabbled on the trebble - and was whipping it like no tomorrow - I was hoping that he would poke out his eye. Had I been the guy next to him - his grandpa probably would have ended up in the muddy water.

I have fished it quite a few times and this was the worse behavior I have seen so far - most of the time it is pretty reasonable - some people are just stupid....ain't no fixin that.
    I think it would have been best to help the boy by showing him how to cast.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default in defense of Bull ...

There's a difference b/w not knowing how to cast and just being completely clueless and rude. Not that hard to understand the concept of not casting over someone else's line every time.

IMO, people think "oh, its combat fishing, anyway -- who cares if I/my kid/my grandma/etc. screws up the other guy's gear on every cast". Don't care to understand that there is actually an etiquette even to combat fishing

That being said -- 90% of the folks down there do not fit the above description.

Default Not me

I totally disagree - his father, grandfather, and mother were there - it ain't my responsibility to teach some ignorant person's ignorant kids to fish.

I have taken a LOT of newbie little fisherpeople fishing - so don't blow smoke up my hole. The whole family needed a good whoopin - plain and simple. Had they been casting over me they would have gotten a good talking to after the second time - 3rd, 4th, 5th time somebody would have been bloodied.

I totally disagree - his father, grandfather, and mother were there - it ain't my responsibility to teach some ignorant person's ignorant kids to fish.

I have taken a LOT of newbie little fisherpeople fishing - so don't blow smoke up my hole. The whole family needed a good whoopin - plain and simple. Had they been casting over me they would have gotten a good talking to after the second time - 3rd, 4th, 5th time somebody would have been bloodied.
    I agree....just no tolerance for lack of respect or common courtesy, nor ignorance (wow, I seem to be losing tolerance as I age....).
    Combat fishing or no, there is still a place for common courtesy. I yelled at a guy down there the other night that was on the opposite bank from me (I was up river of the stairs) that crossed my line every time I cast. About the 3rd time he did it I yelled at him. He ended up tangling with guys fishing roe enough times that his line was cut....and lure left on our side of the river....in the mud. If those type of people can't learn to fish like that, they shouldn't be there....just shows they don't care about other folks.

What's the old saying...."like father like son"????

Default absolutely

That family had/has no respect for others and they obviously felt that they had the right whereas nobody else did to be fishing there.

I have no tolerance for no respect of others and I don't have any problem with bashfulness.

One time is one thing and I am very courteous - multiple times - nope, not me.

So you think it's worth fighting someone over a fishing hole?

Was the kid just oblivious to your verbal scoldings? You think he would have fixed himself after ticking off a few fellow fisherman. Tossing his $3-$4 pixie in the drink might have made him realize that there are consequences for repeated violations of fishing etiquette. I realize this is combat fishing but you have to be able to coexist peacefully when fishing. This isn't like the lower 48 where if some jerk-off steps into your hole and starts fishing without asking (on a secluded river with miles of open water), you can just move to another area.......right after lanching a few softball sized rocks into the fishing hole.

Default To answer

the question of fighting over a fishing hole - that isn't the point at all.

BTW - I did nothing but mention that I would have cut his line - I was very held back - not at all like my old self, but aging has mellowed me. The fellow that got tangled by the kid - was very nice - though he wanted to not be - he repeatedly asked the kid to not cast over him - this was a very blantant and obivious scenario - if you were there and did not think it inappropriate then you also need a lesson in respect and ethics.

The point is that people should teach their children respect for others. But I guess that this is the world that I live in. A responsible parent would have been actively teaching and coaching their children - no different from a ball game or at the grocery store or at a friends house for dinner. My parents would have whooped my hiney for such activity - something a large percentage of the new generations don't get that I personally think is a good thing.

Now - had it been me and I cut the lure and threw it in the water and the parents had a problem with that and they wanted to fight - why yes, I would have abliged them no problem. I used to fight a lot - and probably still remember how now and again...the majority of people would stop when I get verbally p-o'd.

Default get-em

You should have knocked that grampa right out of his wheelchair.
    Ship creek, gotta love it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

when you go to Ship Creek...expect the worst and you might leave there a little happier.

Ahh King fishing, it brings the best out in everyone

Any of you looking for fun you should head out the Willow Creek on a Weekend King Opener and experience the wildlife down there at the mouth - you can probably practice your UFC moves you've been working on in the mirror at home with some of the neat friends you'll make when you cut thier line.

you tuff guys scare me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast