Thread: have you run a prop in chitina?

Default have you run a prop in chitina?

I am lookong for info on whether or not anyone runs a prop in chitina. I have run mine up and down the sue, deshka, tanana, kenai, and other rivers but never there. I was hoping to have some intel before I go in a couple weeks. Specifically from the bridge down to the canyon.

Thanks for any help that can be given!

Default I tried, once...

I ran a prop once and the water was so shallow at the confluence of the Copper and Chitina that I ground the tips of the blades off. That's bad enough, but the thought of drifting in the Copper is too scary for me to run a prop in the future.
    Good Luck!

Default No Way

If you saw the amount of debris in there that I saw today you wouldn't consider it. I also scuffed bottom at 40 MPH heading back to the launch (at the confluence) and I run shallow. I doubt that I was in the main channel however.

Default It is fine if you know the river

Captian Kims good time charters runs dual props. He runs the river every day of the season.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Went with my buddy last year about this time. We made MULTIPLE trips from the put in to just south of the canyon running a prop, in addition to dipping from the boat. We never had a problem.

I don't know about other experiences, but it worked once for us.

we run props every year. you just have to be careful and know how to read the river. if you do that, you'll be fine. it is an unforgiving river though. i wouldn't recommend making a mistake on it