Thread: Sako 995 300 Win Mag?

Default Sako 995 300 Win Mag?

I am in the market for an elk/mule deer rifle. I have several questions. I found a Sako 995 in 300 Win Mag with a Bausch & Lomb scope, but I don't know much about the model or if it will suite my needs. (Sako website doesn't list this model). I am hunting in N. AZ and will be taking longer shots (3-400yds) with 180 grain Nosler. I am concerned about the recoil. Was shooting a 30/06 Ruger, but sold it to trade up. Is the 300 Winnie a good caliber for what I need. Is this a good make and model? Is this the right bullet? What can I do to reduce the recoil without going deaf. Please help as decision time is near...

I have killed my share of elk in northern Arizona, I never found a need for anything more than the 30-06. On the other hand, I had better results with the .257 Roberts and the .250-3000.

But what the hey, I'm all for the guy that wants to try something new.

I just want to find a combo that did it all. You know, dress them, pack them out and cut and wrap them. If your results are like that, please post.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson