View Poll Results: Copper instead of Kenai? If the run looks bad?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup, I'll go to Chitina

22 56.41%
  • No way Jose.

10 25.64%
  • Depends on further run data.

7 17.95%

Thread: Chitina or Kenai?

Default Chitina or Kenai?

With the slow start of all fisheries and the dismal outlook for reds this year (as reflected in the normally robust Kodiak run), a show of hands that would hit the Copper instead of the Kenai for the freezer filling based on run counts so far.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Both

I recommend an early trip to the Copper. If you don't get your fish then you can also do the Kenai or Kasilof. If you do get your fish on the copper you are golden.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've never fished the Copper, but I'm thinking about trying it out this year just to do something different. I'm not too concerned about the red run (yet), as the Russian seems to be off to a good start, but fishing the Copper would still be a fun adventure. I'll need to buy or borrow a different net, though, as my 5 ft. diameter Kenai net wouldn't be ideal in the swift current of the Copper.

How far is the copper and or Chitina from Anchorage?

Default one or the other/ dipping locations

Sorry Boys, You cannot get a chitina permit and also a kenei/Kasilof permit. You can only get one or the other. Also remember that the copper permit allows 15 fish per head of household and Kenai/Kasilof allows 25. The copper is a lot differant than the south central in regards to water clarity and type of dipping. If you need more info, Go ahead and call me on my cell( Have unlimited minutes and love to share pointers. Been up here 30 years and have dipnetted both. PM if you want also but I only get to check this about once a week. celll # 715-8363

Default Kenai/Chitna OK

Thewhop,

Check the regs, Kenai/Kasilof/Fish Creek and Kachamack Coho permits can't be combined neither can a Glennallen and Chitna permits for a family in the same year, however, no other restrictions exists.

Smile I gotta a call in to Area Management of moose and goose

I know I have seen it but can't find it so I put in a call to the Area biologist for clarrification. I'm even thinking it is written on the permit itself. If you are right than I have been wrong since they started it here in South central??? We will see. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, but hey.. Don't tell anyone, would ya? let this be "our" little secret? Me

Default Bump

Bump to see if more input is going to be accumulated.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Chitina or Kenai

Just spoke with Mike at the F&G helpdesk in Anc. YOU CAN GET a PERMIT for the Copper and then still get a permit for the Kenai. Same as always.
    BTW he did say they are getting reports of people limiting out on the Copper, didn't say how or where but it good news.

Not so good news about last year at the Kenai, people were getting gear and coolers stolen. Said a buddy of his turned back to the beach in time to see someone taking his cooler, managed to catch up with the lady and all she did drop the cooler and keep going. (Man I would decked her). Said another guy had the coolers stolen out of his pickup. We only lost our shears, lucky I guess.

Jim

How far, about 6 hr. 230 Miles, google it to know for sure. Can be a very nasty place for wind tho. Plan on either charter a drop off or dipping off near the bridge. Us a smaller net, Kenai 5' cant hold in the current. Be vary carefull, tie off if on the rock ledges. Good luck
    Jim

Well I'm fresh meat here so please be nice.
    I went to the Kenai around the 18th of July last year and got 9 on my boat (We are talking boat dipnetting I hope) and it was at the end of the run. Other people I talked to that were there a few days before hit numbers of 30.
    Two questions.
    1) Why is everybody so hip on the Chitna as apposed to the kenai?
    2) Dose anybody have a good guess as to win the run might start this year? I've been reading a little and it sounds like some of you have already been out. I didn't even know it was open for dipnetting yet.

Cool First post

The deal w/ Chitina being more sought after is that they're the "World Famous Copper River Reds an' Kings" THE best salmon on the planet and sold world wide. Chitina reds are generally known to be bigger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    I went to the Kenai around the 18th of July last year and got 9 on my boat (We are talking boat dipnetting I hope) and it was at the end of the run. Other people I talked to that were there a few days before hit numbers of 30.
    The 18th wasn't even close to the end of the run last year. That's usually when things are getting really good, but the 2nd run on the Kenai was really late last year - F&G even extended the dipnetting season when a late surge of fish arrived. My friend and I dipped from a boat sometime around July 25th and got 63 between us before we just got overwhelmed with the # of fish to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by EBobo View Post
    The deal w/ Chitina being more sought after is that they're the "World Famous Copper River Reds an' Kings" THE best salmon on the planet and sold world wide. Chitina reds are generally known to be bigger as well.
    While Chitna reds are more famous for their high fat content, they're actually smaller than late Kenai reds by 2-3 pounds on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The 18th wasn't even close to the end of the run last year. That's usually when things are getting really good, but the 2nd run on the Kenai was really late last year - F&G even extended the dipnetting season when a late surge of fish arrived. My friend and I dipped from a boat sometime around July 25th and got 63 between us before we just got overwhelmed with the # of fish to deal with.
    Hmm... that's good to know because I'm planning on hitting the Kenai the 18th Thur the 20th this year. So do you think they should be running good then or should I wait a week? Last year was my first time doing it that way and it was blast!

It's really hard to say. Take a look at the historic run charts on the ADF&G website for the typical average peaks. That being said, no year is "normal" and so far most things seem late this year. That could all change in a hurry, but....basically it's a crap shoot.

Yeah I was hopping you had a magic ball or something.
    I think I'll stick to my plans but keep an eye around here. It looks like a gret place to get a heads up.

Peanuts you will be good. Just may have to put a few extra hours in if you have a large quota.

Last year we made the run around that time and pulled 135 BIG reds in a couple of hours from the boat.

Also a reminder for those going to Kenai, NO 2 STROKE USE in KRSMA during the month of July to include the dipnet area.