Thread: fish in metal cans

Default fish in metal cans

Hi all
    so I have alot of experience canning fish in glass jars. Now though I want to can in metal cans (for gifts). I aquired a used can sealer and a box of new cans. Now I am trying to figure out how to do it. The UAF extension co-op booklet is a bit unclear.

I would love and ideas or advice on procedures on canning fish in tin cans.
    thanks alot

Here's a link to an old thread where I asked the same question.

As you'll read, I used cans and did so all last year. I like the cans better than jars and the process isn't too tough so I'll stick with metal cans again this year. The only difference is that you have to exhaust the cans prior to sealing. That translates to cooking the fish with the lids off until the internal temp of the fish reaches a certain point (that I don't remember off the top of my head). I found the easiest way was to use the biggest baking pan we have and put about 1 1/2" of water in it and place in a hot oven. Place the open cans into the water and cook until the thermometer reaches the required temp. I cover the open jars in the oven with a loose piece of tin foil to prevent to top meat from drying out. The water bath makes the heat transfer much better and also keeps the fish moist. Remove the cans and seal, then cook in the pressure cooker as usual. I always use 10# and 100 minutes because I can remember it. The end result is quite good.