Thread: Minox vs Vortex

Default Minox vs Vortex

I am looking to buy a new pair of binos. I have it narrowed to the Minox HG 10x43 or BL 10x42 or the Vortex Razor 10x42 or Viper 10x42. Any one have experience with any of these. Minox vs Vortex? Is the jump up from the BL to the HG or from the Viper to the Razor worth the extra money? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can't really comment about the vortex but I just got the Minox 10x43 HG's and they are great!!

Default HG's as a range finder?

I see where the HG's are supposed to be able to be used as a range finder also. You are supposed to be able to read the range from the focusing wheel. How does that work? Is it complicated? How accurate is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 77hunter View Post
    I see where the HG's are supposed to be able to be used as a range finder also. You are supposed to be able to read the range from the focusing wheel. How does that work? Is it complicated? How accurate is it?
    I imagine that they give a rough esitmate on when things are in focus based a certain distance the focus wheel will still be turned to a certain location. I'm sure this is all based on 20/20 vision though. If you had anything less than 20/20 then everything would be skewed as you can get binos to focus to work for just about eye sight.

Like one time out hunting my one of my contacts got lost so I just used the right eye focus in conjuction with the normal focus and everything looked fine. Of course when not looking through the binos everything looked screwy.

Lanche- The setting is supposed to be good to about 50yds per MINOX My vote is next time we get together we break your leica RF out and test the feature on my binos. I certainly do not have 20/20 vision so we can test your theory.

As to the question of Vortex vs Minox I don't believe there is any comparison the Minox is much better glass. I got me a set of Minox and I will likely buy my wife a set of cheaper vortex since she has less need to see the thin tips of a rams horns than I do!
    Here is what the info on the Camera land website has to say about the Minox HG

The high-tech optical glass is "Made in Germany" by the Mainz based SCHOTT AG, which belongs entirely to Carl-Zeiss-Stifung,

I ordered a set of the Minox HGs. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks for the info.

Default you will love them

I have the Minox HG's in 10x43 as well. I love them. Many people tried them on my boat while bear hunting. Everyone said it was good glass, even the guy with the ziess. I seen a bear at 12:30 am on the last weekend of hunting in PWS. I pulled up the binos as all I could see with the naked eye was a black blob out of place. Sure enough it was bear and a small one that. With hardly no light on the cloudy twilight I could see the bear perfectly. Once it started moving I could see the belly was sucked up pretty high and had skinny legs, this was at 167 yards. Very good binos and Doug at CameralandNY was great to deal with, and is brother too.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lanche- The setting is supposed to be good to about 50yds per MINOX My vote is next time we get together we break your leica RF out and test the feature on my binos. I certainly do not have 20/20 vision so we can test your theory.

As to the question of Vortex vs Minox I don't believe there is any comparison the Minox is much better glass. I got me a set of Minox and I will likely buy my wife a set of cheaper vortex since she has less need to see the thin tips of a rams horns than I do!
    Here is what the info on the Camera land website has to say about the Minox HG

I'm not sure that "Minox is much better glass" than Vortex, or at least not when apples to apples are being compared. An appropriate comparrison would be Minox HG versus Vortex Razors. I do not claim to be an expert, or the most experienced, but I do research a lot and find others with real world experience who are knowledgable about the product at hand. For optics this means hunters and especially bird watchers. I read many reviews, in addition to seeking advise from consumers and stores who sell both of these binos. In the end it was pretty much a wash as to which one was better. They are both great binos, with very comparable optics. In the end the choice comes down to individual prefernce.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by okbowman View Post
    They are both great binos, with very comparable optics. In the end the choice comes down to individual prefernce.

Brent
    I agree with you! If you have the individual preference to sit and glass for hours holding up an extra 1/2 pound (7.1 oz) for no gain in optical quality. Then the Vortex is likely just as good as the Minox

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I agree with you! If you have the individual preference to sit and glass for hours holding up an extra 1/2 pound (7.1 oz) for no gain in optical quality. Then the Vortex is likely just as good as the Minox

If weight is the deciding factor then the Minox wins hands down. However, some people recommend a touch more weight to aid in holding steady. Which of these sides one falls on is a personal preference, and to say one is absolutely better than the other for everyone is not accurate. Individuals have individual preferences and through experience and testing people will find what works best for them.

With that said I am considering buying a pair of 10 power binos and have decided against the Razors for this application. Among those I am considering are the Minox HG's...lol.

Brent

I have owned both in 10X43, I found the Razors were a little better glass but didn't like their weight, the eye pieces won't stay at the right place when taking off and replacing covers, and I didn't like how big they were. The HG's are ergonomically superior, and I felt that was more important than the small clarity difference. I never owned them at the same time so I did not get to test them side by side in the field. I took my razors into Sportsmans warehouse after I decided I didn't like them and compared them to the HG's. The difference in clarity was small and I couldn't assess the difference in brightness at low light. I am more happy with the HG's.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I have owned both in 10X43, I found the Razors were a little better glass but didn't like their weight, the eye pieces won't stay at the right place when taking off and replacing covers, and I didn't like how big they were. The HG's are ergonomically superior, and I felt that was more important than the small clarity difference. I never owned them at the same time so I did not get to test them side by side in the field. I took my razors into Sportsmans warehouse after I decided I didn't like them and compared them to the HG's. The difference in clarity was small and I couldn't assess the difference in brightness at low light. I am more happy with the HG's.
    Good points. Thanks.

Brent

If the HG's had Steiner eye cups I would be in optics heaven.