Thread: Spawn collection

Default Spawn collection

Will it be ok to bring my spawn collection when I move from MN? I have been saving my best eggs. So far, Coho from Lk. Superior, and Lk. Mighigan, King from both, Brown trout from Lk. Michigan, Lake trout from inland and Lk. Superior, Brook trout from inland, Rainbow from both, and Splake from inland. (Lk. trout/Brook trout hybrid) I have found that the fish like eggs from other bodies of water. They all have different colors, sizes, scents and consistancies. Has anyone else noticed this? I just destroy the steelhead on Lk. Superior with Brown trout spawn from Lk. Michigan. We also really do well on Lk. MI with Lk. SUP. king spawn. Anything to this? Can I legally bring my eggs from home?

Default It is not..

..like they are too likely to hatch out and infest the local fish populations

I think that that is leagal as long as the eggs are not viable.

i wouldnt use eggs from lake michigan in any water other than lake michigan, specially not in superior or other pristine waters. there is a VERY contagious disease in lake michigan, which salmon and trout are carriers of that will wipe out fish populations wherever it is introduced. in fact in michigan we will get one hell of a fine if we are caught using organic bait without a certificate of origin in posession. we cant even use spawn taken from fish we caught in the same lake legally. here is a link to an old artical about it... but it has advanced a lot since this was written. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=610579

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    i wouldnt use eggs from lake michigan in any water other than lake michigan, specially not in superior or other pristine waters. there is a VERY contagious disease in lake michigan, which salmon and trout are carriers of that will wipe out fish populations wherever it is introduced. in fact in michigan we will get one hell of a fine if we are caught using organic bait without a certificate of origin in posession. we cant even use spawn taken from fish we caught in the same lake legally. here is a link to an old artical about it... but it has advanced a lot since this was written. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=610579
    The problem is, the bait shops in MN use exclusively WI Lk. Michigan spawn to sell. It happens every day, in every bait shop around here. They cannot buy local spawn legally. You do have a good point, does freezing or curing kill the bad stuff? All mine are cured and frozen, nothing fresh.

i dont know if frezing/curing kills it or not. the law in michigan is that we cannot use organic bait in lake superior unless it is verified and certified by the dnr as coming from a VHS free area area. which lake michigan isn't
    if we use cured spawn from lake superior, whis is VHS free, and dont have a certificate from the DNR, we get a ticket!... grrr

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    i dont know if frezing/curing kills it or not. the law in michigan is that we cannot use organic bait in lake superior unless it is verified and certified by the dnr as coming from a VHS free area area. which lake michigan isn't
    if we use cured spawn from lake superior, whis is VHS free, and dont have a certificate from the DNR, we get a ticket!... grrr
    The only way that will work is if MN,WI,MI, and Canada all have the same rules! We know that will never happen. Oh well, gotta follow the rules.