Thread: Just back from Chitina

Default Just back from Chitina

Fished Wed night from my boat. Three of us all limited, 90 fish total including 3 kings. Water lowest I have ever dipped. Spent several hour on Wed morning/afternoon looking for good areas, only produced 5 fish (fishing deep). Almost called it quits for the night around 9 pm. Started fishing just below the surface, down in the canyon. This produced 85 fish including the 3 kings (we also had to let go of 2 other kings). Not sure what the trail is like, but saw several 4 wheelers below the tunnel. Should be pretty hot this weekend.

Thanks for the info! I was beginning to think the reds had forgotten to swim back up. The fish counts don't look so good. Hopefully the weather will warm up and the water will rise.

Default We got back last night

Spent the night on a rock in the canyon, we netted OVER 30 KINGS! The ratio was about 2:1 reds to kings netted that night at that spot, but the day before we got the first limit. The kings were like rats, couldn't keep them out of the net, we brought back 3 limits.

The 4-wheeler trail is useable, but not that stable. You can get through with a 4-wheeler now, we used it the first day to get to the canyon on mountain bikes, but 4-wheelers were getting through.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default water levels

what are the water levels like launching from the bridge, down to the canyon, can i run a prop or will I get stuck?

thanks for the report guys...I'm sure there are a lot who have been itching to get current info on chitna...myself included...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Water Level

Really really low. Probably 4 feet lower than last year at this exact time. As far as using a prop, not sure. Personally I would only use a jet. You can search this forum, there have been some discussions on using a prop/jet on the Chitina in past years.

Default Prop?

Some slightly shallow water below bridge. My depth finder stopped reading, which is less than 18 inches of water. I never ran into anything really shallow, didn't get the ground effect lift. Can not tell you which channel is better, I hung to river left on the way down. Did pull into an eddy down in the canyon right up next to some vertical, shockingly only 2 ft deep and sand bottom. I did see one person with a prop unit running a small boat. Good luck.

Sounds like to hit them pretty good! Nice to hear the Kings are there as well

Default prop guard

I ran a prop the first two years i ran that river and the second year I put a prop guard on after grinding the scag off my 25hp the year before. Make sure to keep the motor in tilt if it's not a power trim and you should be alright.. That only applies if your going forward of course so if your reverse throttling to keep drag on nets you could run into problems.
    Marita Sea and Ski had a good guard that bolts right on you scag.

ROCK ON!!!
    Thanks for the info! Hopefully they will continue to run steadily for awhile.

Default Above the bridge

How many of you have dipped above the bridge? I have seen people doing it with success. If so what was your method? Is there any place to tie up the boat and dip an eddy? Any info would be great!

Above the bridge is the federal area, its not the same permit as the personal use area below the bridge.

Default Above the Bridge

No, above the bridge is State also. You can choose one or the other to fish in but not both. Above the bridge is officially classified 'Subsistence' and below the bridge 'Personal Use'. Above the bridge is the 'Glenallen Subdistrict' and below the bridge(to Haley Creek) is the 'Chitina Subdistrict'. Link:
    www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Management/Areas.cfm/FA/copperSusitnaChitina.chitina
    Limits above the bridge are huge, for fish wheels as many as 500 with no limit on Kings! (you do need to request this higher limit but its merely a matter of asking for it) For dipnetters above the bridge its limited to 5 kings and as many as 500 total salmon! Again you have to request the higher harvest. Mainly fishwheels up river, or at least right by the bridge. I knew a guy who dipnetted right there in between fish wheels but I'd guess fish wheelers don't encourage that.
    Another example of the unequal rules dipnetters face in dipping at Chitina. 500 Kings!! I have seen the harvest numbers and ain't nobody doing that but why the Hell can't I keep a second King below the bridge?
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Chitina View Post
    why the Hell can't I keep a second King below the bridge?
    I'll 2nd that, but why would you want to? Reds are so much better IMO.

Default Fished out

Hey new to the forum but been wathing a while just got back this evening and netted two fish, I am one of the netters above the bridge and got to tell you the fish wheels and netters up there aren't doing so great . friend owns the second fish wheel in line and only got three fish all day yesterday. we netted are two about the sam time those came in and then that was it i'm glad to hear somebody's havin better luck than us...

David

Default above the bridge

Hey just wanted to add that the guys in boats were getting good fish above the bridge in the cliff side(chitna), they just seem to be avoiding the fishwheel side of the river.

David

Thumbs up

"No, above the bridge is State also." I guess I left some parts out, my point was above the bridge and below were different areas, thanks for your clarification.