Thread: Garmin GPSMAP 76S OR 76CXS

Default Garmin GPSMAP 76S OR 76CXS

I am looking for a Handheld GPS for a do all in Alaska. Put it on my boat, truck, 4 wheeler, snow-machine and walking. Wondering if anyone has used one of this and any comments.? Thanks, Tim

I have the GPS map 76S , I bought when it first came out. I really like it. I downloaded several maps from mapsource as well as several maps from the Bluechart program. It has and continues to work flawlessly. It works best with the lithium batteries.

Default Garmin the basics

Here is the basics of deciphering the Garmin techno babble

If the device has MAP in its name it has mapping capability, The base map is borderline useless! I have the TOPO 2008 (about $80 additional) and it is actually pretty good. I found that some roads are not where they say they are. The parks HWY being a big one. I am driving on it and the gps map has me 500yds-.5mile in the woods. This could be a problem if you are lost/injured and just want to get to the road to find help. Imagine if you were standing on the road according to the map and you were actually 1/2 mile from it! I did find that away from the road it was very accurate. If it had me standing in a creek I was at least in the creek bed. It was able to verify my position very closely using the visable terain and comparing it to the screen. On the trail I would rate it a 9 on the road a 5.
    I have the 60CSX and here is the breakdown on the CSX accronym

The C designation. The C is a color screen. I really like it and consider it worth the additional expense.
    X= the high definition reciever. I have carried the etrex vista and others without this feature and I found them almost useless. With the WAAS reciever in the X designated units I am able to turn my unit on and set it to track my route, then just throw it in a pocket and I when I pull it out I can see my whole track outlined in a dotted line (called "bread crumbs"). The non X designated units that I have used have spotty reception so you end up with big gaps in your track where it lost signal. A GPS with no reception in rugged terain is not very usefull up here, especially one that fails to aquire satelite in the mountains and under moderate to thick tree canopies.

S= This is a feature that many do without. I bought it and won't go back. The S designates the Magnetic compase, barometric preasure and Altimeter. The Electronic Magnetic Compass is the big one here. Without the compass you MUST BE MOVING for the unit to tell N/S/E/W! This causes you to wonder around alot and take a very circuitous route to get to a point that you have set as a destination if you are not able to travel over 2.5 mph. Another words if you pause to work through an obstacle in the woods the unit will lose its bearing and the direction pointer may swing as much as 180* off course! The only pain with the Mag compass is it must be calibrated! I do it whenever I start my trip and will recalibrate it when ever I question the units accuracy. On my last 4 day hunt I calibrated the unit 3 times. The calibration takes 2 minutes and consists of selecting "calibrate compass" from the menu screen and it directs you to turn slowly around holding the unit level for 2 rotatiions. It is pretty fool proof and will tell you to slow down your spin or to speed up as needed. It will tell you that it is done and you just return to the navigate page really pretty easy! The compass is another thing to me that is needed if you are going to really use it to navigate.
    Aside from the compass the other features are kind of fluff, I can tell my altitude by looking at the topo map on the screen at least to within 100' or so and I have never "NEEDED" the barometer though you ship savvy people may be able to use it as a little more weather warning.

I purchased the 60 series which has a .1" smaller screen than the 76. The 76 has the controlls above the screen and 60 has the controls below the screen which I like better. I didn't however own a boat when I purchased the 60 which would have made the 76 series a nobrainer! The 76 FLOATS! The 60 does not. They are both however waterproof and I believe the best units available at this time.

For everything but the truck you can do it with the 76 and the TOPO software. There is a City Navigator software package available that may make it the perfect do it all system for you but I have never used it so have no idea how well it works.

Thanks for the replies.

Default 76csx

I purchased the CSX a month or so ago. Check Amazon.com for great prices. I bought mine for $307.00. Mine came with a 128MB chip in it. I was able to load approx 20% of the state of AK on it before filling it up. So I purchased a 2GB chip from Best Buy for $17.99 and I now have all 1413 map sheets for the entire state on it. I love it. Easy to use and I think the altimeter, compass etc. is well worth the extra $$.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Brian

Default Were did you get the topo?

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    I purchased the CSX a month or so ago. Check Amazon.com for great prices. I bought mine for $307.00. Mine came with a 128MB chip in it. I was able to load approx 20% of the state of AK on it before filling it up. So I purchased a 2GB chip from Best Buy for $17.99 and I now have all 1413 map sheets for the entire state on it. I love it. Easy to use and I think the altimeter, compass etc. is well worth the extra $$.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Brian
    Where did you get the topo maps for Alaska? Thanks

I got my garmin software from Sportsmans warehouse in Anchorage.

I have the CSX model and feel it is way over priced; wished I liked mine like USMC likes his. I believe there are less expensive and just as good GPSs out there. J.

Default Other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    I have the CSX model and feel it is way over priced; wished I liked mine like USMC likes his. I believe there are less expensive and just as good GPSs out there. J.

Can you recommend any others that are just as good but less expensive?

Default gps

i have a 76csx,love it,went to the gps store on old seward in anchorage and got garmins chip has the whole state of alaska already loaded on it,,topo map quality,

AlaskaC

How much did you pay for the map?