Thread: Great knot for terminal tackle

Default Great knot for terminal tackle

Check out the Joe Miller Knot.

Way better than the std clinch knot. Very easy to tie, cinches down into a tight compact knot, and VERY strong.

Put it up against my favorite twice-around-the-eye San Diego Jam by tying each end of a length of line on to separate snaps. Ran the test 5 times. Had to pull VERY hard to snap the line each time! Joe Miller broke once, TATE San Diego Jam broke once, and the un-knotted line in between broke three times!

Check out the tying video.

click here
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

No chance of that knot slipping or coming undone, thanks! I will try that one. I like to think I tye a good knot, but one in a hundred or so comes loose on me, only when I have a trophy on.

I have always tied a Polamar and have never had any problems. I may have to give this one a try. Some guys tying knots are like old ladies knitting a sweater. it takes them forever. this knot looks fast and easy

WOW... I tried it on some 65# superbraid.

Talk about EASY to tie and cinch up perfectly! And best of all, it will NOT slip in braid.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Tried it today on a 16lb Lake trout. Ties easy, doesn't slip. I had to stop myself mid- knot because my brain is trained to tie a clinch knot without thinking. I'll use this knot if I remember with braid or thick wire hooks.

This looks excellent, thanks!

I'm confused... I think he put the line in the wrong way to demonstrate what the wrong way looks like.... Then when he goes to do it correctly and finish up the knot, the camera inexplicably goes to a wide view and it's impossible to see the end steps of the knot. He also makes it sound as if its critical that the line go back in the same direction it went through...etc, etc. This is why learning new knots is so frustrating to me... I almost always just tie a palomar. Though occasionally I will tie a Rapala knot when I want a lure to have max action.

I like to do palomar and rapala knots because they are so easy to tie.

I think this knot is very good because of the reviews givin here but it better be easy to tie for me to use.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

So to put this into context, while sitting in my room in San Antonio drinking beer browsing the forum because i am bored... I use an improved clinch with mono and a palmor with braid. What about this knot is better and when i can tie either knot in the dark without a light why should i change? And, i'm guessing you have to be retired to have the time on your hands to figure out new knots. Just random questions from a bored guy.

Default Why learn a new knot?

Improved clinch is probably one of the WORST of the available GOOD knots for tying a connection in mono. Palomar, Uni-knot (Duncan Loop), Trilene knot, Jansik, San Diego Jam... and yes even the Joe Miller.... are all superior in knot strength when compared to the improved clinch.

Palomar is one of the best for a terminal connection in braid if all you will be tying is a snap, swivel, or hook. It is a lousey knot for tying to anything much bigger than that... the loop takes too much line.
    The KeenEye MD

Earlier today I think I learned how to tie the San Diego Jam correctly. But thanks to the terrible editing of that Joe Miller knot video I'm still not 100% certain how to tie it and I can't find another video or even a diagram... frustrating! So I'll probably never try it out... Which sucks because it does look like a super strong knot.

I'm 95% sure I know how to tie the Joe Miller correctly but that's not good enough (don't want to lose a big fish thanks to experimentation).

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Improved clinch is probably one of the WORST of the available GOOD knots for tying a connection in mono. Palomar, Uni-knot (Duncan Loop), Trilene knot, Jansik, San Diego Jam... and yes even the Joe Miller.... are all superior in knot strength when compared to the improved clinch.

Palomar is one of the best for a terminal connection in braid if all you will be tying is a snap, swivel, or hook. It is a lousey knot for tying to anything much bigger than that... the loop takes too much line.

Its good to know that it is the worst and all the others are better. Because I do most of my fishing with the improved clinch and if the others knots I dabble with are even better then that is a good thing. The improved clinch has served me well.

I tried the trilene knot for a while but had it slip on a few occasions and I do not use it anymore. I do use the double trilene from time to time.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".