Thread: rope for shrimping

Default rope for shrimping

getting my gear list togther and would like to know which type of rope is best for shrimp pots ie which type which diamter and so on

lead core is what allot of people buy. Just stay away from the floating line.

Stuff at B&J, Sportsman, Dewey's works good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I run 3 strand floating orange poly for the 'bottom line' where the pots are clipped on, and regular 3 strand non-floating cotton line for the the section that goes from the bottom to the surface. They are spliced together.

Leaded line is good, but I prefer the soft-lay of the cotton line. YMMV.

My parents commercially fished shrimp in the Sound in the 70's and 80's and we've been doing it recreationally ever since. We've always used floating line with 2-3 sinkers under the buoy at ~100' intervals and have never had a problem.

Donalson Net Warehouse is also a good place to get pots and line.
    They recommend the lead line.

I have gotten other peoples floating line around my props. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My parents commercially fished shrimp in the Sound in the 70's and 80's and we've been doing it recreationally ever since. We've always used floating line with 2-3 sinkers under the buoy at ~100' intervals and have never had a problem.
    That is no problem and the perfect way to do it. I just drives me crazy to see 100+ feet of rope floating on the surface.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Email this guy, he will set you up with line or anything else you need at a better price then anywhere in town.

Shrimp Pots by Steve
    A big thanks to all who stopped by my booth at the 3 Outdoors Shows & thanks for the business.
    For info, pictures & prices email akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default i know about potbuilder

i was just trying to gain some knowledge as i have over 18 hours a day of doing nothing in iraq untill i leave in the middle of july and i still wont be back until oct or nov

It seems there are pros and cons of the various setups, and I haven't gotten out to try my setup so no comment on if I did it right or not.

I can appreciate the thought that floating line is less likely to get hungup on the bottom, just put some weight on the line to keep it from spooling by the buoy.

Leadline runs around $60-80 per 600' in town, Sportsmans has 400' spools of floating line for $25. As I'm cheap, and appreciate the benefits of floating I got 3 spools of floating line. I spliced two of them together to provide 30% slack line for 600' drops, and added weights at 100' and 400'. As I'm starting out with 2 pots, I cut 100' off the third spool and am using that length to space out the two pots. When I get 3 more pots I'll add the 300' piece to space them out an additional 100' apart.

Dewey's has 600 ft of leaded line for either $54 or $57. I cannot remember exactly, but a few dollars cheaper that what I saw at Donaldsons and AK Mining.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's