Thread: Eklutna trailrace myth - BUSTED!!!

Default Eklutna trailrace myth - BUSTED!!!

Walked downstream to where the kings might be holding. No sign of the kings. Tons of salmon fry but no returning Kings.

Default Comm Guys

Gonna have to visit your local commercial fisher if you want king... they are even having a hard time picking up some!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Visit the Copper

We dipnetted this week. On an overnighter my friend and I netted over 30 Kings in something like six or seven hours while trying to get our limit of reds. I imagine lots of them are heading for the Klutina, but who knows.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

any thing new since monday? Was there monday evening, quite a few people but no fish.
    Paul

The water has come up quite a bit, I bet the Kings will be moving up to the Tailrace soon. I've seen them in the lower sections of the tailrace in the past few weeks. Also I've been seeing A LOT of foot prints on the sandbars below the parking lot but not far down river enough to reach the deep channels where I've seen them.

I am actually dumbfounded that they are not in there yet. But, I will say, the water level has been very low, the spring very cold, and all things are seemingly late this year. Perhaps, winter will come late? I wouldn't bank on it

I bet they are all in the Eklutna river...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I bet they are all in the Eklutna river...

It has always been a theory of mine that a large number of kings that were released in the Tailrace show up there. When you think about it, why how would they know the difference, it is the same water source.

This theory started when I walked the river and saw huge fish and lots of them a couple of years ago and I have walked this river before at about the same time of year before the king plants at the tailrace and there weren't any at all. It is a nice walk - very peaceful except if the fourwheelers are out. But- bring bug spray if you do it.....