Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deshka River king salmon go missing

Default Deshka River king salmon go missing

I was there this am and from 0630 to 10:00 am I saw at least 40 fish caught. Seemed like one on all the time in one the boats that created the big circle around the hole at the mouth.

This is good news. Looks like are going to be ok.

Default Anyone Else See?

Did anyone else see 40 fish caught at Deshka today? Please don't take offense kcedar but I heard that last Fri and hauled butt out there after work and asked the guy working the launch and he just shrugged his shoulders, like no, there were a few caught but not many. It was totally dead that night, some of the people there said there were some hook ups that morning, but not a ton. How many boats were out there? I'm debating between Lil Su and Deshka tomorrow and Sun. Thanks.

i was there this am too. 40 fish easy. we got two 30lb+ in my boat. Now, tomorrow the bait restriction goes into effect, and most of those fish were caught by 10 am on eggs, and it was cloudy early on. So, tomorrow could be totally different.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

I just got home from a great morning of king fishing on the Deshka. Two total rookies caught thier first kings and we all 6 kept one. Not to mention the ones that were released or lost. Oh yeah, I bet there were more than 40 caught in the first 30 minutes today and it kept pretty steady paced until we left anchor around 12:30. Believe what you like but if you weren't there you missed out.

My hope is that they are just now arriving.

Default Sounds Great!

Does anybody know if they were hittin Kfish or other lures or did everyone use eggs? Thanks, I might just be there first thing in the AM!!

I know people have been using wiggle warts and vibraxes and been doing well. I dont think the bait restriction will affect the fishing that much because other things have been working also. The color orange has been pretty popular.

Default Headin Out

Will be heading to Deshka at 0400, should be anchored up by 0530 or so. I will let you know how it goes when we get back this evening...

I see you're taking a much needed break from your Fillet Wow marketing.

Just got back from the Deshka.

Dead Dead Dead.
    I also heard the 40 fish mornings in the circle by Mike and Merts, but Saturday was a different story.

Saw 2 fish caught right at the opener and 2-3 more before 11:00.

Default It was ok

We anchored up right at 0600. We stayed just towards the mouth of the big cluster. I hooked up within 5 casts. A nice 33# buck. I used a K-fish as always. There were lots of fish in the river. They were rolling and jumping the whole time we were there. We stayed until 2pm. There were some fish caught, not a lot by any stretch, but they are definetly in there. The State Troopers were out, they stopped and checked everyone in my boat and moved on up river. They were very nice guys and I was glad to see them. The weather kind of sucked, but nothing too bad. It will be interesting to see the wier count on Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I also heard the 40 fish mornings in the circle by Mike and Merts
    This circle created by a few unruly, greedy guides is something of the sort that has never been seen before on the Deshka. They literally go out each morning before fishing is allowed, raft the boats in a cirlcle and string ropes between the boat, so they have exclusive use to the fishing hole. One of the guides was the guy that has the boat, cabin rentals and lodge on the left before you enter Deshka Landing (new people coming to the region, destroying the river). This group is blocking a navigable channel and fish and game is doing nothing about it. If nothing is done now, this practice will be continued and expanded to other holes along the river. Never saw anything like it, it is a disgrace and wholly unnecessary. Are others out there disturbed by this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    This circle created by a few unruly, greedy guides is something of the sort that has never been seen before on the Deshka. They literally go out each morning before fishing is allowed, raft the boats in a cirlcle and string ropes between the boat, so they have exclusive use to the fishing hole.
    Are you kidding me???? Something needs to be done about this if this a daily practice of theirs. I don't care who you are, or what you do, we are ALL FISHERMAN/WOMEN, whether or not you are a private angler or a professionally paid guide. All this is going to do is create a fight on the Deshka, if they keep hording the hole.

If they have their boats tied together, maybe one will start to take on water and bring all the other down, one day, when the water level is extremely high!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-18-2008 at 14:01. Reason: language

This circle created by a few unruly, greedy guides is something of the sort that has never been seen before on the Deshka. They literally go out each morning before fishing is allowed, raft the boats in a cirlcle and string ropes between the boat, so they have exclusive use to the fishing hole.
    Okay let me get this straight. They are tying up boats to form a circle around the hole. And they are using rope between the boats to prevent you from breaching the circle? How long are the ropes between the boats? Are these boats occupied? Or are they all empty except for a few boats? Please explain this in more detail. If they are doing what it sounds like I think someone needs do something about it. Such as the state/troopers/f&g. If not then we will have to take care of it our selves! Good thing I got collision insurance on the boat. Because I just might have to use it sooner than I thought!

Sorry, but I can't agree with akres's characterization of the fishing at Mike and Merts at the mouth of the Deshka. I've been down there 5 times this year, sometimes fishing that hole, sometimes a little farther up river.

This circle created by a few unruly, greedy guides
    From my observations, only two guides frequent that hole - the person you so unkindly refer to, and Mat Su Salmon charters. Mostly, its people camping down at the river and groups of private boats. A few obnoxious louts? Yeah, but harmless from my experience.

(This)is something of the sort that has never been seen before on the Deshka.
    I've seen boats line up at that hole for years.

They literally go out each morning before fishing is allowed,
    Not illegal at all. They're not fishing.

raft the boats in a cirlcle and string ropes between the boat, so they have exclusive use to the fishing hole.
    Boats do tie up together. It actually makes more room for others to fish the hole. Its not like there are yards of rope strung between boats. THey are literally end to end or side to side with no space in between.
    (new people coming to the region, destroying the river).
    You must mean like Euro-Americans did a 100 years ago...

This group is blocking a navigable channel and fish and game is doing nothing about it.
    The river is still navigable to the far north side. USCG rules seem fuzzy on this point, but as long as a boat can safely navigate, there's no justification to interrupt the fishing.

If nothing is done now, this practice will be continued and expanded to other holes along the river.
    Not likely. This is a singular situation, especially since not many fish are in the river. If a big wave of fish moved upriver, more people would spread out. I don't really like fishing that hole, with all the crowds and the hassle of tangled lines. But I also don't like spending my time and money with very little chance of a bite.

it is a disgrace and wholly unnecessary.
    In your opinion, of course. Some could say that any combat fishing is a disgrace. If you don't like it, avoid it. In my opinion, its a sign of the times. I'm actually surprised how cooperative everyone there has been. AT least once, I saw a boat pull up, ask the folks anchored if they could tie up to join in, and were received with welcome. I see it as the same as fishing the Russian or Willow. Cooperation and manners will go a lot further than complaining or outright hostility. Your message really smacks of envy more than anything else, and maybe regret for times when the river was less crowded.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Well I'd have to say that AKfangler pretty much said it all. If you don't like combat fishing zones then don't fish them simple as that. If you want to join in and fish the hole I'm sure you wont' see the rudeness you speak of. I'd also have to agree that your complaining smacks of envy more than anything else. Oh by the way I was in the circle of the wagon tied right next to everyone else on friday and ever gave the guys next to me lures to try and assist thier catch rate. Bottom line, if you don't like it move on up the river or go elsewhere.

Oh and by the way if these activities were so reckless and illegal I'm sure that Fish and Game or the Troopers would have corrected the issue long ago.

looks like the Deshka fish counts have gone missing too

My Kbar would take care of the ropes. I would not let me block them from going where i had the right to go. I think the Marine in me would see to that. Manners and common courtesy

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by FSHKLR View Post
    Okay let me get this straight. They are tying up boats to form a circle around the hole. And they are using rope between the boats to prevent you from breaching the circle? How long are the ropes between the boats? Are these boats occupied? Or are they all empty except for a few boats? Please explain this in more detail. If they are doing what it sounds like I think someone needs do something about it. Such as the state/troopers/f&g. If not then we will have to take care of it our selves! Good thing I got collision insurance on the boat. Because I just might have to use it sooner than I thought!
    The boats are occupied and the ropes are between the boats. They form a wagon wheel around the hole and yes, block others from using it. Some are "allowed" in, others are not. For anyone to say this is now acceptable and a sign of the times (not you, other posters) just makes the event even more disgusting than it already is. I don't fish the area, but I know some that do, and they were denied. Yes the hole has always been fished, but never in this manner. The circle is fairly tight and from what I saw, you could not squeeze in. I doubt they will undo the ropes for a stranger, but who would even ask to do so??????? SAD DEAL, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast