Thread: Globalstar coverage - North side of Brooks Range?

Default Globalstar coverage - North side of Brooks Range?

Based on past posts I understand that the Globalstar coverage in the interior is spotty or intermittent. My sheep hunting partner owns a Globalstar that we would consider bringing (in lieu of renting Iridium) but our concern is over how functional (or not) it would be on our hunt? The only purpose of the phone will be for emergencies and contacting our air charter.

Any experience out there on using Globalstar in the Brooks Range?

Only used Iridium on North side of Brooks - no problem. There are numerous reports on forum about problems with Globalstar reception the further north you go. I personally would not take the chance. Sat phone rental has become quite reasonable....as opposed to air travel.

Check this bulletin from their website

Two-Way Voice and Duplex Data Services - Temporary Limitations
    As previously announced, many Globalstar satellites are experiencing an anomaly resulting in degraded performance of the amplifiers for the S-band satellite communications antenna. The anomaly is adversely affecting two-way voice and data services. Customer service continues to be available, but at certain times at any given location it may take substantially longer to establish calls and the duration of calls may be limited. Until the new second-generation Globalstar satellite constellation is operational, Globalstar is offering its Optimum Satellite Availability T-tool (OSAT) on its Internet site, which subscribers may use to predict when one or more unaffected satellites will be overhead at any specific geographic location.
    Here is their coverage map and you can click the picture to be linked to info on the golbalstar website.

Default Globalstar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Based on past posts I understand that the Globalstar coverage in the interior is spotty or intermittent. My sheep hunting partner owns a Globalstar that we would consider bringing (in lieu of renting Iridium) but our concern is over how functional (or not) it would be on our hunt? The only purpose of the phone will be for emergencies and contacting our air charter.

Any experience out there on using Globalstar in the Brooks Range?
    We had globalstar & a real pain trying to get a connection after missing my take out?? Never again! Iridium is the only way to go...

Default good luck

Good Luck. Thats all i got to say about Globalstar north of Tok. I tried to use mine last year north of Tok and I got through 1 time out of trying off and on for 3 days.

Have you checked out Globalstar's SPOT device? It's simplex device and doesn't require two way com. It's the equivalent of the old EPIRB beacons they used to use on ships. It's much cheaper to buy and have long term, works very good in Alaska (they just recently upgraded the SPOT receiving equipment here in Alaska)_you can program it to send an email, a text message with GPS coordinates and a Google earth map to anyone you specify, up to like 4 addresses and phone numbers I think, and if you hit the 911 button, the calvary comes right away:

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

Default Nothing Global Here

Globalstar reception is horrible south of Juneau even. I have tried it in Chatham Strait last year with limited to no connection. You could have gotten out a emergency message if you hit the lucky satellite window or it was not too much of an emergency. The same was the case 40 miles south of Ketchikan 6 years ago.

I seem to remember that Globalstar was going to put up a new satellite about 6-8 years ago that was supposed to fix our spotty reception. If I remember right, though, they had another satellite that went TU and they ended up using ours to replace it. So we are still SOL for for good reception.

I have had no problem with Iridium phones. I have even connected in areas with high blocking topography like valleys and mountains.

Default Had a Globalstar on Afognak

and never could get it to work. I have used Iridium in PWS, up on Denali Hwy, and points in between with great reception. I even had to remind my wife that I was on a Sat phone and couldn't talk that long....

Default thanks everyone!

Based on your replies it looks like we best leave the Globalstar at home and rent an Iridium.