Thread: Trout on Ship creek

Default Trout on Ship creek

Are they available on Elmendorf? I always drive past and see guys on the creek on base fishing, but never knew if anyone has had luck trouting here?

I have "heard" some trout have been pulled out around the picnic area close to the Moose Run housing but that was a couple of years ago. I've yet to give it a try. Outdoor Rec may have solid info.

if ya drive past the hospital and where the road comes to a T with Davis hwy, go straight down the gravel road there and there is a nice deep back eddy that i'm thinking might hold a trout or 2. keep an eye out for momma moose, was down there last week doing some training and she let us know she wasnt happy with us being there

I did see a guy yesterday morning dry-fly casting into the shallows just above the restaurant. Maybe he knows something I don't ....

I grew up fishing on Elmendorf for the last 25 years. There are rainbows and dollies in Ship Cr. throughout Elmendorf.

awesome. I live in Moose Crossing half block behind part of the creek...may head out there this weekend and work up and down, see what i can find. thanks!

i work across the street from the hopital, i need to throw my ultralight in the truck

Since you live in Moose Run, Turbo, I assume you have heard about the several blackies that have been spotted around that area. To include at least one momma with a couple of cubs. BE CAREFUL AROUND THAT AREA!

FG, where abouts have you pulled the bows and how recent? As I stated earlier, I have yet to try out Ship on EAFB, just a few of the lakes on base. The main bridge that crosses the creek, just comin' through Boniface gate, looks to have some pretty nice pools. I have often thought about walkin' up & down that area and givin' it a try.

Good god, the king fishing must surely stink on Ship Creek if a tread about trout is this active.....But, yeah trout fishing and catching is way better than King fishing and not catching

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Good god, the king fishing must surely stink on Ship Creek if a tread about trout is this active.....But, yeah trout fishing and catching is way better than King fishing and not catching

Theyre talking about the portion of ship creek thats illagle to king fishing

I fish down behind Fam. Camp where the picnic area is. I fished it last year a few times using beedhead nymphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Theyre talking about the portion of ship creek thats illagle to king fishing

Indeed. And they wouldn't be talking about fishing it for trout if the king fishing (farther downstream) wasn't so pathetic.

Just went out yesterday with my fly rod and my ultralight. went to Fish Lake and caught two youngin's within 10 minutes with a regular silver spinner. saw em grabbin flies across the way about 30 yards, and cast out a bit...no bites...went to the fly and didn't get any action either. switched back to the spinner and got one nibble after a few casts, but nothin else...

went to Ship Creek right behind Moose Crossing Housing where Grady Highway crosses over before the Ft Rich housing. water was pretty choppy, and i don't think i was fishing it right, i dunno....did get some nice fly casting practice in...

Default Trout on Ship Creek EAFB (Updated w/ question)

Went ot a couple times on base behind the hospital, and the water has been pretty fast-flowing. I've never fished in a creek this fast, and i don't know really how to fish it...would dry flies still work, or would i need to find pools and just fish in them? I usually have both rods along, my fly rod and my lkightweight trout rod with spinners and spoons ready to go.