Thread: egg color

Default egg color

What color of eggs do you use for the kenai?

Orange, red, pink, natural.....take your pick. I don't think the color matters near as much as the quality of the bait does. Blood free eggs (ie. bleed the fish right away and milk out any blood that may be left in the skeins), keeping them cool, and curing them as soon as you can after harvest with a quality cure sure helps. That said, most of my cures are of the florescent red variety.

Default right there

is what I was thinking, but some anchorage locals told me a different color than any of those - said it is pretty much wide spread knowledge.........Are they effin with me or is it real?

Might help to know what color they told you....

Like I said before, color isn't that big of a deal. They could be cured with a natural colored cure (ie. the cure doesn't have any dyes in it to change the natural color of the eggs) and they'll fish just fine. Provided they're prepped and cured properly. Or you could go with a brighter color (my preference). The scent is what salmon key in on the most. If you're fishing a clear water stream, the color may matter more than if you're fishing a river like the Kenai or Kasilof that is silted. However, a couple years ago I caught five kings in one morning on the Ninilchik R. (clear), fished the Kasilof R (silted) the next day and caught two kings...all with the same bright red eggs.

If you haven't cured eggs before, try and find some "Nate's Bait" egg cure. I used the Iridescent Red. It cures eggs a little faster than some of the other cures I've used, kept their color, and the eggs held together well. I have heard that eggs done with this cure tend to milk out a little quicker.

Here is a good link on how to go about curing eggs: http://www.ifish.net/amercure1.html
    It's the same basic process for just about every cure out there.