Thread: Camping in PWS

Default Camping in PWS

We are renting a boat out of prince william sound for two days, and were planning to camp on shore somehere. Have looked at the map, and there are so many bays. Any advice where good spots are for camping?
    Also, are there bears on the smaller islands? Any safety advice, in terms of camping with bears ?

Thanks in advance
    Vadim

Go purchase the book "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. It's around $40 and worth every penney. It will tell you everything you need to know about camping spots, bear hot spots, rocks that are not charted, where to anchor, etc. Be careful when you anchor your boat at night or you might wake up to it high and dry. Have fun and be safe.

Get a copy of the Lethcoe's guide to cruising PWS, it is an expensive book but worth every penny, and gives thorough advice on every bay and anchrorage. The book is almost more important to have than a chart. Also if the boat you are renting doesn't have a gps, bring a handheald unit.

I believe the only island that doesn't have bears is Green Island. I know disk Island has black bears, as our dog awoke us by barking at one when we camped there last summer.

Don't put your food in the tent, and don't camp on the edge of a salmon spawning stream.

You don't have to go way out from port to get into some neat areas. Culross Island has some neat bays, or you could head up Wells to Hummer bay which doesn't see much traffic but is a neat spot.

Checked the bookstore on the top link, and could not find it, could they be out?

You can check with Tidal wave here in Anchorage or on line to see if they have one. As of last week, I bought the last one last week, but they might of gotten more in..

Check
    library

Ebay

Amazon

Thanks to Paul H who convinced me to spend the $55 for the book. I will never leave home without it...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Usgs

The USGS Map store on 36th ( Alaska Pacific Univ campus ) had some last time I was there.

Alaska Mining and Diving used to carry them, that's where I picked mine up a few years back. Might call West Marine and other marine shops in town.

What bays were you considering? Are you renting one of the 18-20' open skiffs, or one of the hardtop boats?

We rented the 20' open skiff a few years back and ran up to Hummer bay for lunch on the beach, then down to the mouth of Culross for some fishing.

(hummer bay)
    Often the worst water is getting across Well's, and around the Whittier Harbor. That said, I'd recomend against running the small skiff past Culross Island.

Default How about this spot?

Nice spot to go.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

We were going to rent the 24 or 26 ft boat for 5-6 men. We want to fish, and drive around, but ultimately camp somewhere at the end, just not sure where the good spots are. I don't think we want to go to Montague Island, somewhere closer. I have been to culrose passage, and it is very calm, but heavy traffic, we wer looking for like a lagoon of some sort.

What is the name of the USGS store on 36th?

Thanks
    Vadim

Default Coastal Pilot Link For Download

Try Esther Bay(Shoe String Bay) on Esther Island. Very little traffic, very well protected bay. Easy access to beach, plenty of flowing fresh water. Great hiking with alot of good areas to set up a camp. Good fishing close.

Here is a link for a free download of the Coastal Pilot 9

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/NSD/C...ed-reduced.pdf

Enjoy!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dupont Spinner; 06-12-2008 at 15:36. Reason: Added Link

Default map store

The USGS Map Store (907) 274-8440
    open till 5.