Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal License Coming

Default Federal License Coming

Well now you are going to need a blasted Federal fishing license.

I suggest an new sport, take up hunting bureaucrats, they are starting to be varmints.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004470924_apfishingregister.html ?syndication=rss

Register to fish in federal waters

The government wants to know who's fishing for fun in federal ocean waters.

Recreational anglers and spearfishers would be required to be registered, starting next year, under a rule proposed Wednesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

NOAA's Fisheries Service said it wants to get more accurate data on recreational fish catches. Commercial fishers already need licenses or permits and thus would not have to register again, the agency said.

The registry is required under a change in the law and would cover recreational fishing in federal waters as well as fishing anywhere for what are called anadromous species, such as striped bass, salmon and shad, that spawn in rivers and streams and spend their adult lives in estuaries and the ocean.

Registrations will include an angler's name, address, telephone number and the regions where fishing is conducted. NOAA said this information will not be made public, it will be used only to conduct surveys.

States that issue their own saltwater fishing licenses could apply for an exemption if their records provide sufficient information for the federal database. Those include the states on the West Coast, including Alaska, the Gulf Coast and the South Atlantic.

Hawaii and the states from New Jersey to Maine do not offer such licenses, NOAA said. The agency hopes the federal program will encourage those states to start their own licensing programs.

The registry covers fishing in federal waters, which are generally three miles off the coast. Exceptions are Texas and the west coast of Florida, where federal waters begin nine miles off the coast.

NOAA said registration would be free the first two years and an annual fee ranging from $15 to $25 would be imposed starting in 2011.

Those under age 16 would be exempt and fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes.

Anglers who fish only on licensed party, charter, or guide boats would also be exempt, since these vessels are surveyed separately from the angler surveys.

The agency said it needs to get better data on recreational anglers to be sure it protects fish stocks but doesn't impose unnecessary limits.

The proposed rule is open for public comment until Aug. 11. Comments can be mailed to: John Boreman, Director, Office of Science and Technology NMFS, 1315 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910 Attn.: Gordon Colvin. Comments can also be submitted electronically at http://www.regulations.gov.

---

On the Net:

http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov

Here is the direct link to the comment page and what I just sent.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09 00006480620f04

Every time I turn around it seems I have a bureaucrat or politician sticking his or her hand in my pocket and quite frankly I'm sick and tired of it.

You want fishing data? How about collaborating with CDFG and draw your data from Rec Fin and keep your ****ed sticky fingers out of our pockets for a change.

It's only a few more bucks, well after a while it adds up California fishing licenses are over $40.00 with stamps.

This is a bad idea to levy another tax on us in the guise of a fee, prepare for a fight.

Who ever decided to run with this one was/is a blithering idiot and ought to be demoted to a rookie postal carrier whose route is in a Louisiana swamp.

If you have not figured it out yet I am 100% against a federal fishing license and am going to fight it every step of the way.

I too feel more than adequately taxed to fish....We all pay taxes on our fuel in our boats, our boat licensing fees, tax when buying our boat (depending) and of course the fishing license, which is basically a tax. Now another tax? You're right, enough is enough. Clearly, this is just a thinly veiled way that feds are trying to raise more tax dollars in way that requires them to do nothing in return. I will hand it to them, it is very clever and will require a whole new branch of enforcement that will be funded by this new tax. I don't think that this is going to be a very popular idea.

Funny how almost everything affects the middle class person...
    we make the rich, richer!
    when is this going to stop? tax here, tax there.

you mentioned fuel tax, boat register tax and license tax, but dont forget all the tax we pay on our fishing gear, PFDs, etc....

heck, pretty soon, they are going to start giving residents a "VIEW TAX" for having a nice view from their home!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-18-2008 at 15:36. Reason: removed euphemism

I submitted comments opposing this plan. There are betyter ways to do it and the rational for the registry is flawed. The surveys are currently being done by randomly calling households in coastal areas, so who came up with that waste of time? No wonder the committee found it to be inefficent.
    "fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes." The reason is becassue indigenoous people fish for food. Well I eat what I catch so why do I have to pay, because I don't meet subsistance requirements?
    Another agency wanting into our pockets.

Default A link to my comment....

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...00006480620f04

First Name john Middle Initial Last Name doe Mailing Address 123 anystreet Mailing Address 2 City anycity Country United States State or Province NE Postal Code 01234 Email Address Phone Number Fax Number Organization Name US CITIZEN Submitter's Representative Not worth a **** Comments This is just another way for you Fed's to 1) Tax the crap out of the hardworking
    American for pursuing our right to provide meals for our families. 2) A way to keep
    tabs on everything we do.
    It's funny how the Communist countries now seem to enjoy a more free society
    and less gvt intervention than does the 'free' country in the world. Look at China if
    you don't believe me. YOU are ruining this country.
    YOU are the reason why our forefathers revolted from England for taxation without
    representation, and on taxation for the necessities of living. Are we represented in
    Congress? Heck NO....our politicians are so corrupt and are the reason we are in
    the financial crises we are. Don't believe me? It is the politicians that have
    prevented this country from developing over 80% of our natural resources.
    Get your head out of your rear end, and stay out of our private lives! You want to
    count fish? Great, but quit interfering in my privacy so you can count your fish.

well I can't imagine I'll be fishing 3 miles off the coast anytime soon...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    It applies to you and just about everyone. Part of the stipulation in this includes those fishing for salmon in tidal waters. More than likely, that is you.....

Mark

I thought I heard on the radio that ADFG had a system that filled federal needs and that we'd be exempted?

**** it! I suppose another enforcement group to hassle fishing folks without cause. Collect more accurate data or collect an additional fee? A user fee is the republicans version of increasing taxes -- I suppose the short fall from corporate tax reduction (in the 1950s they paid 50% now around 17%) of Bush is being picked up here.

Republicans -- spend crazily on credit -- give away tons to multinational corporations

Democrats -- tax and spend crazily -- give away tons to multinational corporations

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought I heard on the radio that ADFG had a system that filled federal needs and that we'd be exempted?
    I hope that we will be exempted, but I think this is about politics and money and not science. Just my opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    **** it! I suppose another enforcement group to hassle fishing folks without cause. Collect more accurate data or collect an additional fee? A user fee is the republicans version of increasing taxes -- I suppose the short fall from corporate tax reduction (in the 1950s they paid 50% now around 17%) of Bush is being picked up here.

Republicans -- spend crazily on credit -- give away tons to multinational corporations

Democrats -- tax and spend crazily -- give away tons to multinational corporations

One thing for sure - in the recent past the only time that we have had a balanced budget, or a nearly balanced budget is when a democrat has been president and that was the one that had a very sharp head on his shoulders and a scorpion in his pants. Not to mention that the women he chased we just hideous and butt ugly. I guess that pretty much sums up Billy.....

I use to like (20 plus years ago) what it meant to be a republican when it meant to conserve our country's money, assets, and other resources. Now, I don't see any republicans doing that and they have become far worse as time has progressed in what I see as frivolous spending. I sure don't know the solution to this. It seems both parties are having a party with our hard earned tax dollars. And I don't see independents winning any time soon.

Oh wait, I know the solution - a federal fishing license.....

I suggest an new sport, take up hunting bureaucrats, they are starting to be varmints.
    Long overdue. Bureaucrat and politicians are only trustworthy when they have a .45 barrel screwed into their ear.

I can promise you that if this passes, there'll be lots of non-compliance in rural areas.

I hope that we will be exempted, but I think this is about politics and money and not science. Just my opinion.....
    Isn't that the case with just about everything involving govt?
    Now what ?

Have you ever fished out by Montague? That's where just about everyone from Seward/Homer goes.....guess how far out that is??

Mark

That's an interesting opinion for a young man.

The Feds don't start such programs just to take them away "soon". They deal in lifetimes. Multiple generations.

Once enacted, you'll be looking at it for the rest of your life, and (like most Federal programs or policies), it "grows".

And who said it will be optional? Maybe it will just be tacked on to the cost of an Alaska state fishing license.

You may pay for it even if you aren't "fishing 3 miles off the coast anytime soon"...........

I smell something fishy going on here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Where does the coast officially begin again? Three miles is nothing if we are talking the North Gulf Coast.....

the ADN article says alaska would likely get an exemption, and the deal is far from done.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the ADN article says alaska would likely get an exemption, and the deal is far from done.
    Doesn't look like a "deal" to me, and as far as the Feds are concerned, nothin's "done"............

As Ronald Regan said, the best example of some thing eternal is a govt program or tax

Red face June 12th Anchorage Daily New Story Ak Exempt

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/434043.html
    NOAA proposes fishing registry

FEDERAL WATERS: Alaska would likely be exempt from rule.
    By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
    The Associated Press
    Published: June 12th, 2008 12:18 AM
    Last Modified: June 12th, 2008 12:55 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast