Thread: Chena Annex to Chena Lakes...

Default Chena Annex to Chena Lakes...

Anyone ever canoe from the Chena Annex campground off Eielson all the way to the Chena Lakes rec area? Just looking for some info about the trip.

I have gone from the north fork to chena lakes. I also run my boat from chena Lakes up through that area every other day. What info are you looking for?

Basically if it would be a good trip in a canoe I guess.

It's not a bad trip, but perhaps not the best part of the chena. Plenty of sweepers and a couple of log jams on the upper part of that stretch but nothing too scary. It gets wider and slower as you get towards NP. One long day will do it, but an overnight is nicer. Camping is better on the upper half. Lots of grayling that see very little pressure. More beavers than you can count.

I prefer the section from Rosehip to Eielson for scenery, but you have to be at least fair with a paddle or the sweepers will eventually dunk you.

That help?

Yk

Yeah, thanks yellowknife!

Default Good Trip

Just did the Annex to Nordale yesterday. It was my first trip on a canoe...and it was a long one. took 11.5 hrs...about 5.5 - 6 to get to chena lakes.

two green horns made it with a 15ft coleman, no problem, just wished we would of parked at the lakes in stead of Nordale