Thread: Oar right vrs pins-n-clips

Default Oar right vrs pins-n-clips

How is everyone mounting their oars? I use the pins and clips, but have been told that's not the best way. I know it's a pain when an oar pops out but at least I have the saddle to hold the oar against the pin until I manage to reset the clip. I just came back from a trip on the Yampa in CO where I ran an 18 cat with Oar rights, I never poped an oar but there were no rocks due to high water.
    I'll stick with the pins and clips on my 18 cat but I'm curious what the AK river runner perfer.

All three of my boats are equipped with pins & clips, but for most things I actually prefer to use oarlocks with stoppers & uprights on the oars. Mostly this is all just a matter of personal preference. Some don't like uprights for instance, and a few don't even want stopper on their oars. There is a difference in sound & sloppiness with oarlocks versus pins & clips too. This is one of the reasons I prefer oarlocks. If you do use oarlocks in rough conditions, I suggest using keeper straps just in case. Purists will laugh at you though.

However, in very rough conditions, I think pins & clips hold the advantage, in that if they pop out you can quickly slap them back in with one hand as long as your stirrups are stiff enough. With oarlocks, once they pop out (and they do) you have a harder time remounting them quickly. Also, if you use an extra long pin (10-12") you can quickly and easily adjust the pin/fulcrum hight. With oarlocks you are forced to adjust you seat hight instead. I prefer a low fulcrum point for rowing distance (better leverage), but a high one for rough water (better wave clearance), and this is a advantage for pins & clips.

Like Jim said, largely personal preference.

Just posting that if someone does go with oarlocks, you might look for the new Cobra Oarlocks by Sawyer.. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...401&deptid=981

I put them on my new boat and love them. Given their shape they have :
    The elongated, oval opening allows for an additional 10-15 degrees of vertical range while keeping your oars snug in the locks.
    They actually don't let the oars sit all the way at the bottom of the V they hold it slighty above the bottom at the wide part of the horns..

I have to pull the oars out to the blade to get them out... And it will take a lot more force to spread them apart compared to the more traditional oarlocks given how thick they are.

My travel buddy and I just had this conversation yesterday while completing the Chulitna from the East Fork put in to Talkeetna. I used to use pins & clips but switched to oar locks with an oar right about 7 years ago. The advantage of the latter in my opinion is the increased ability to quickly retrieve and replace the oar(s) to avoid a large obstacle passing closely by the side of the boat. I've been able to spin out of and pass through some pretty skinny places this way. With pins & clips this move seemed to be more cumbersome and take longer due to the friction of the clip passing on/off of the pin. That's my preference anyway. Cheers.

I agree with cjines about pulling the oars in (shipping). With pins & clips you have to jerk them hard to overcome the pinch of the clip, and sometimes they bind anyway. Of course, you want them tight enough that they don't keep popping off on you, but not so tight that you can't pull them in. Occasional fine tuning the adjustment point is usually accomplished with river rocks. I keep mine fairly loose, and have learned how to quickly reset them onto the pin with one hand.

I rarely ship oars though, I usually just swing the blades forward to be ready to to push right away, or if caught completely by surprise, I let them swing back. Swinging the blades back takes more time to get them back into play though, and the swinging handles can remove passengers if the seats are too close. With oarlocks shipping is an easier option unless the channel is too narrow.

Good topic for discussion.

On a side note...my 9' pontoon boat has the wimpy little oarlocks that easily bend if torqued hard. I installed new ones and oar-rites and that helped, but they are still a little too wimpy when in rough water. I looked for a small set of pins & clips, but could not find any for pontoon boats. Has anyone found a smaller set or have a better fix for the little boats?

Thanks in advance...Ridgerat