Thread: $ for a Marlin XLR .444?

Default $ for a Marlin XLR .444?

My aunt and uncle want to buy me a gun as a "momento" to remember them by; I don't know, go figure. They're not sick or dying or anything but want to give me them something to remember them by as I am their favorite nephew even though I haven't seen them much since moving to Alaska 28 years ago! I told them what I wanted and they said get it and send them the bill.

How much are they going for, and where at (in Anchorage)?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    My aunt and uncle want to buy me a gun as a "momento" to remember them by; I don't know, go figure. They're not sick or dying or anything but want to give me them something to remember them by as I am their favorite nephew even though I haven't seen them much since moving to Alaska 28 years ago! I told them what I wanted and they said get it and send them the bill.

How much are they going for, and where at (in Anchorage)?

Tim
    I don't know how well healed your Aunt and Uncle are but you may be passing up on something really special.
    I think $600 would about cover it.

What, is this just something you always wanted? I guess I'm raining on you parade but I gotta ask, why that gun and why in that caliber?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What, is this just something you always wanted? I guess I'm raining on you parade but I gotta ask, why that gun and why in that caliber?
    Yea, I guess that's about it. I've always wanted a .444. Am I ballistically (is that a word? )giving up the farm not getting a 45/70?

Tim

There are a lot more options available bullet and performance wise with a 45/70. The mild factory loads are really mild and will still wallop deer, hogs, and black bear even though they hasve a rainbow trajectory. From there you can go all the way up to 540 gr hardcast superhot loads and take anything walking.

Ammo overall is a lot cheaper for the 45/70.

Your choice but the 45/70 is a better all around option than the .444 imo.

Ballistically the .444 isn't bad at all.. but the 45.70 will be easier to find ammo for and it'll do almost as good.

And... with Hornady's new LeverEvolution ammo, it's a 200 yard gun again! (in either caliber)

KRS

Default Marlin XLR 444

I just bougt a 45/70GS last week and was taking a look at the 45/70 XLR and it was priced around $750. I would imagine the price should be about the same between the 45/70 and the 444. I agree with the others that the 45/70 is alittle more versitile and the availability of ammo is better than the 444.

Has anyone shot Buffalo Bore ammo in either .444 or 45/70, or is the Hornady ammo the way to go?

Tim

Default Ammo

I have heard that the Hornady ammo is the way to go with the new Marlin XLR rifles. I have heard that the Hornady ammo shots alot flatter than the other options. I have heard good and bad for the regular Marlin rifles.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Please don’t misunderstand and think that I am telling YOU what YOU should do. But I will tell you what I would do. If my uncle was a “shooting” uncle, I would tell him to go and buy me what ever gun HE thinks I should have and ask him to give it a good work out at the range before he sent it to me.

If he is not a “shooting” kind of guy and has little or no knowledge of guns, then that is even better. I would tell him to take his wife (Aunty) and head out to the local pawn shops and let her “pick” a gun or two for me!

Now you and I both know that with either of these two options, you wont be looking at a Weatherby MK V or a Rem 700 titanium mountain gun, and certainly not a Marlin anything. But you will end up loving and cherishing a firearm that your uncle and aunt picked out especially for you! After all, do you really give a shining Shi&% what it is? It is truly the thought that counts, and it will only have nostalgic meaning if THEY picked it out??!! Hell, you’re a big boy and can save for and buy any dang gun you want. If you pick it out, it wont mean anything. They might as well give you a money order or a check………………not exactly something to remember THEM buy now is it??!!

Hell……………one of my most prized possessions is a stupid ceramic VW beetle aftershave bottle!?? Totally worthless in any store on the planet, but priceless to me, as it was given to me by my late Grandma Engelbrecht when I was 12. I also have a Remington .22 that would be lucky to fetch $50 at a gun show, but to me, it also is priceless as it was my Grandpa’s “machine shop rifle” that always stood in the corner of the machine shop on the farm and took care of crows, rabbits, badgers and the like. Love that gun! He also gave me an 870 12 gauge that he had never fired. He got it as a give, and was never a “bird” kind of guy……………it was 10 years old but brand new. I don’t give a **** about that shot gun because it meant nothing to him and he never once fired it…………..

\If you want an heirloom, then ask them for one. If you want a new rifle at your uncles expense, then go buy it your own **** self.

There is literally a million rifles out there, but buddy boy, you only got ONE family. Make it count for something.

That’s my two cents worth, and you may find it worth exactly what you paid for it…………….

Best of luck to you my friend, and when all is said and done, just make sure they know how much you think of them and love them, and everything else will work itself out.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

For our second wedding anniversary my wife said she wanted to give me something special that I would cherish in her honor for ever. Not something that was a particular need but rather a want that I normally wouldn't purchase. Back in those days money was tight and new firearms didn't enter the house on a whim like they do now. My wifes intent was to go above and beyond the norm to make me happy and even in those days she knew and understood my love for guns even though she didn't know one gun from another.

Muzzleloader deer season was just taking root in Iowa and I had been fancying a New Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine in 50 cal. So I stopped by Roses Gun Shop and bought the very one that I had my eye on.

Remembering back I wasn't nearly as impressed with the gun (as nice as it was) as I was at the thought and intent of my wife. That rifle is prized above all others not because of its monetary worth but because it reminds me of the condition of my wifes heart and her willingness to put my want ahead of her need.

Your soon to be 444 may not have any significant meaning to start with but if you really do buy it with the intent of honoring them then it will become a family heirloom and you won't look at it as just another gun down the road.

It all boils down to your mindset in regards to receiving the gun. I'm not doubting it but rather responding to the last post! Enjoy your 444!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I can see elmerkeithclone’s point of view but had not looked at your situation from that perspective because, as like most folks, I tend to bend everything to my own way of thinking or point of view. That said, My last post was not intended to admonish or insult you in anyway, and if I did, I sincerely apologize.

A Marlin 444 is a fine rifle!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default depends

Yea, I guess that's about it. I've always wanted a .444. Am I ballistically (is that a word? )giving up the farm not getting a 45/70?

Tim
    I've got both, along with a 44 wildcate based on a blown out 45-70 case. If you're a handloader, you aren't giving up anything significant to the 45-70, if anything at all. But if you don't handload, then by all means there's a better selection of factory ammo for the 45-70.

As for differences on game? Nah. Provided we're comparing apples with apples. But with comparable bullets in each case, the differences are keyboard ballistics.

Thanks for the replies. Nope, my uncle and aunt aren't shooters. Alangaq, I see your point, but I don't think they've hardly have seen a real gun let alone pick one out, I do see what your saying though.

I haven't picked out a gun yet, but I think I'm going to go with the .444. I don't handload, but my buddy does my step dad has loading equipment too.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. Nope, my uncle and aunt aren't shooters. Alangaq, I see your point, but I don't think they've hardly have seen a real gun let alone pick one out, I do see what your saying though.

I haven't picked out a gun yet, but I think I'm going to go with the .444. I don't handload, but my buddy does my step dad has loading equipment too.

Tim
    You won't be disappointed! It's a dandy round. Pay special attention when the handloading is going on, and plan someday to start doing it yourself. You can put together light loads with cheap pistol bullets and lighter powder charges that make the 444 one of the most fun rounds to shoot for plinking. You'll shoot more that way, and with plenty of practice you'll do yourself, the rifle, and your aunt and uncle proud. That's what it's all about.