Thread: varmit cartridge

Question varmit cartridge

Would a .223 be a better fur round on fox,coyote,and wolves than a .243. I take shots out to 500 yards with my 7mm-08 with a miss very rarely. The fur on the other hand, does not look so spectacular. In put would be appreciated.

Default 223/243

If you are rarely missing at 500 yards, then we need advice from you. I use a 17 Rem. Used a 243 but got tired of sewing.

Default shooting technique

When i shoot I pull the toe of my gun up as high as it can go into my shoulder. Shotgun shooting, experienced shooters tell you to do this to straighten your head so that you are in a normal position. Next, establish a breathing pattern. forget the half way through rule, let all your air out so that you can see the bottom most point that your crosshairs hit. After 2-3 breaths your crosshairs will settle on your target for 2-3 seconds, make sure the very tip of your finger is the only part of your finger in contact with the trigger. That is where all the nerves are and gently coax the trigger back until the gun fires. Go to http://www.snipercountry.com for a better description of this method of shooting. Good Luck!!

Default .243 Grain

AKNOME,

What grain bullet were you using on the .243? That caused you to sew so much.

Default 243 loads

I tried just about everything. Factory 80 & 100s in several brands. Rolled my own too, 85 Sierra, 90 FMJ and 100 mild softpoints. All 3 pretty good on wolverine, but not for foxes.
    I hardly ever have to sew with the .17.

Default Varmit Grenade

I was thinking about working up a load of Barnes Varmit Grenade but haven't really been able to find much on how they hold up at long ranges and how they would do on wolf. Seems like they would work with minimmum hide damge since I would be loading in .243

Try Hornady 75gn TAP ammo. I have shot several coyotes with it, the exit hole is not a "blow out" type wound.

canemaker
    “The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental”. -- John Steinbeck

aknome do you mind sharing your 17 remington load that you use for fox?
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default varmint cartridge

In his book 'Hunting the Hunters' Rick Kinmom describe his weapon of choice as a 6mmPPC. While I have not read all of the book, he does give a good description of his rifle and why he has chosen the 6mmPPC. Just some more food for thought.

Default Hunting the Hunters

I finished his book last weekend. He shoots the 6mmPPC if I got that right cause it is one of the most accurate rounds know. That and he has a round loaded that gets him what he believes is the best fps. Want to say is 2850fps. I bought my .243 before I got his book. Good book though will try and stay busy this winter with hunting the hunters.