Thread: Kwikfish K-16 Halibut Rig

Default Kwikfish K-16 Halibut Rig

I am thinking about rigging up a kwik fish with some 300# mono and a 400# swivel for halibut. Have read that sound and scent attracts. Tide movement should keep that thing rattling easily. Slap on a slab of herring and should be good to go. Oh would swap out the O rings for some heavier ones and add two circle hooks instead of the trebles. Thinking also of cutting the wire rig out of the kwik fish and pulling the 300#mono through it and then add a huge circle hook. Has this ever been tried and fished?

Default this sounds good

can you get a lighted k fish that might help ,I havent ever heard any body trying the k fish .but my guide had float on the leader in front of the hook nearly the same size as a k16 .good luck keep us posted

Default the lighted kwik fish

seemed to week for the halibut rig. Was solid molded plastic or something and the wire for the hooks didn't run the length, I think the hooks were just in the body with no support or very little. Double the price too, would be cheaper or the same price just to add one light from B&J's. I might have to go shopping tomorrow. I don't own any kwik fish, alteast not yet. What the heck I might be onto something here. Might as well try, my other rigs work very well so I am doing something right.

What colors would be good for that deep? Was looking at the blue and silver one. Closest looking to a bait fish.

Seems like a great idea; let us know how you do

You could run the hook on it's own length of 300# mono and just wrap the bait around the kwikfish and the hook. No worry about the quickfish getting yanked apart as it won't be holding the fish.

I'm partial to just running a jig with bait on the hook and a stinger hook about 18" abover the jig with a hoochie or small grub and another piece of bait. I run the second hook on 80# mono. I haven't tried it with a light yet.

I would just be afraid of the Kwickfish wrapping around the leader 1.5 million times by the time it hit bottom.

Having the leader and hook not actually going through the lure seems like an excellent idea.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".