Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden update

Thumbs up Garden update

Ok I have no green house. I started my stuff in my extra bedroom with a southwest exposure the first of may. I actually planted mothersday weekend out side with the starts i had. My snap peas are going off the deep end as usual. So hardy and easy and yummy snacks. My white and red radish's are coming along nice. Getting some bulbs on the reds but nothing i can see on the white right now. My romaine lettuce is doing fine, crisp standing and good color. My carrots are good as wel, healthly looking. Dont get me wrongs, nothing is huge but it is healthly. I live on the west side of anchorage so no frost since mothers day so my stuff survived. I was pushing it i know. Here in another couple of weeks ill add some more pics to my garden album so all can compare. Just needed to share my stuff.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm inclined to think that fishing is more fun then gardening. Altho it is surprising that I am enjoying helping with some of it, and even more enjoying eating the product.

Oh fishing is way more fun that gardening to me. But when i cant be on the water i find it very relaxing to putter around the house and taking care of some good veggies. The wife has her baskets and herbs i have the veggies. Oh and my maters are any where from the size of a dime to a quarter now.

Wink

My garden is going pretty good considering I had a sitter that drowned my original tomatoe start.
    I let it 'dry' out by not watering them for almost a month and humidifying them.... and about 50 of them sprouted.
    I have a few of them that I am VERY proud of, but I do have some other plants that are up and coming as well.
    The pumpkin couldn't make it, though. I was hoping for a good, strong pumpkin for the kids for the fall.
    Hopefully, rabbits and moose won't be nibbling on my garden.
    Lurker.

My garden has been doing well except for the zuccinis.(put them out memorial day weekend in big lake and they froze)
    Radishes are all up and growing. so are the carrots, peas, lettuce, and onions. My cabbage and broccoli starts are growing well. The beats are being a little slow and so are the beans but I think they will be fine. I think that the kale got mixed up with flowering kale, because the plants are short and colorful.

Default 1st crop of radish's

Here are the first bunch i picked thursday. The wife and I sure enjoyed them floating the river on saturday. Nice and juicy with just a little pop to them
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 11-19-2008 at 20:27.

This is wonderful, Alaska Chuck!!!

We are continuing doing VERY well on our garden! We are starting to have buds for our tomatoe plants. We have had good days on rain, been pumping water from our pond, and it's been growing like crazy because of the last couple of nice weather days.
    Our daisies are suffering now.
    Lurker.

Thanks so much. my white radish's are gonna be huge and yummy too. I also have around 25 maters the size of quarters now. My carrots are thriving and like I said before just a fun year in the garden. I have a 2nd crop of red radish's in and think i can pull off another. Im looking forward to my snap peas too. I love my veggies on the river

Got the first produce from the garden last weekend. Lettuce and radishes. they were tasty.
    All the zuccini plants have died. I am not sure why. we have always been able to grow them in the past.
    Most other things are comming along nisely, especially the cabbages and broccoli.

i think my spinache and romain lettace are ready but not sure.. anyone know when is the time to pick them? this is my first garden.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

If they have decent size leaves then you can pick them. I usually just pick what I need from the outside of the plant and let it continue to grow and produce till it looks like there will be a serious frost.
    Watch your spinich and if it starts to go to seed then pick all of it.

well its big enough to eat now forsure.. so if i pick around the outside it will produce all summer? what if it seeds? do i need to plant more seeds to get more spinich?

Ray
    Semper Fi!

yes, they can produce all summer. The lettuce usually isn't a problem with going to seed, but spinich will go to seed. You can still pick and eat the spinich after it goes to seed but it will stop producing so you might as well pick it all.
    If your first batch has gone to seed, then I would say harvest all of it and re plant if you want more.

Wow, I came here to get dipnetting info and found this gardening thread! Awesome!
    Just last night I had my first salad out of my garden. The romaine and red leaf has sprung up a bunch this week with the warm weather and sun.

As for when you can pick it, my plants were/are still pretty small but the leaves themselves are big enough to eat. I don't think I picked too early, those plants are really hearty. You probably don't want to pick them clean, but if you can take a few leaves from each plant to get a decent salad, I say go for it and happy eating

Also, has anyone ever had any luck growing sweet corn in South Central AK??
    I'm thinking we just don't get the heat required to grow it.

Smile spinach and lettuce all summer

I just try to clip off the part that is seeding, and if I catch it early enough, it keeps on producing leaves. The trick is going through it frequently enough. We start clipping it off as baby greens and keep clipping off the largest leaves - trying to keep the max size of the leaves within the baby green leaf size range. Soon we have a hard time eating it fast enough! Lots and lots of salad and eggs with spinach in them.

We have it in long pots on the porch railing next to the kitchen, so it makes it easy to police while you're wandering around eating breakfast in the morning.

Sweet corn is tough to grow hear but it can be done. A lot of people grow corn starts hear to get a jump on the season.

I have harvested to crops of red radish's all ready, My romaine lettuce is so yummy and has gotten huge this week. i have aroun 12 of them and pick the outside leaves and have tasty salad. Carrotts are going nuts still with the snap peas growing at least and inch a day and starting to get pods. My maters are up to about 30 so far.

wow sounds like i need to come to your house and pick some!!!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

These last few sunny days have helped the garden out immensly. the beans and beats are growing like mad and the broccoli and cabbages are starting to shape up. I'll probably be able to harvest some of them next week. The radishes are nearing the end of their production soon we will have to re plant. Lettuce and onions are ready to be picked as needed.
    The carrots are being slow and steady, but should be harvestable by the end of August.

had a salad with my spinach and romaine lettace today.. was GREAT!!!!!

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast