Thread: Fishing the Haul Road

Default Fishing the Haul Road

Any suggestions on fishing the Haul Road. I'm going to fish my way to Deadhorse. Would really appreciate any fishing and camping suggestions. Will arrive in Fairbanks July 17. It's been 35 years since I've been in Fairbanks with the military (150 FW, NMANG - The Tacos!)

I'll be fishing/camping for three weeks.

Thanks a lot for helping this somewhat old(65) but far from feeble flyfisherman.
    Bruce D Reinert
    LTC, (Ret) 150 FW, NMANG, (The Tacos!)

Well the one thing for sure. Take lots of GOOD bug dope. Other than that there have been many many threads on here about the grayling fishing on the haul road. It sounds like from what i have read that the fishing is great. If you go to search threads here and type in haul road fishing it will show you the posts about fishing there. Also there are several books out there about fishing the road system. highway angler but one of our members is one of the most popular. Im not sure how much info is in there on the haul road but i know there is alot of info there on the rest of the road system. You will get a wealth of knowledge from the members here of course and I dont recall the name of the fly shop in fairbanks but im sure they would be a great deal of help too,.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks for the info. Since I spent the last 40 years in NM/NV I don't have a feel for best bug repellent. Any suggestions?
    Bruce D Reinert

a head net is mandatory.

Got one. Thanks

Any other no miss fishing sites? I'll be in Alaska and Yukon for 3 weeks
    Bruce D Reinert

You can pretty much pick a stream on the way up and bam there you go for a fun filled evening of grayling. Mornings and evenings are usually pretty good, they kinda slack off at high sun.

Good Luck

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Deet

Muskol has been good for me. The higher the deet the better at least for keeping the bugs away!

"Skin so Soft" is great stuff! Of course definitely have the head-net as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BDRAK View Post
    Any suggestions on fishing the Haul Road. I'm going to fish my way to Deadhorse. Would really appreciate any fishing and camping suggestions. Will arrive in Fairbanks July 17. It's been 35 years since I've been in Fairbanks with the military (150 FW, NMANG - The Tacos!)

I'll be fishing/camping for three weeks.

Thanks a lot for helping this somewhat old(65) but far from feeble flyfisherman.
    I caught a 21" char at around mile 80 counting back from Deadhorse.

I was told they are not that far up river but............the fish said otherwise. There were also a pile of grayling there also. This was around Sept 1.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default book

There is a book that you NEED. It has over a 100 maps and tells you exactly how to get to certain fishing spots. Great resource. One of the best books about Alaska fishing I have bought. It is sold on the forum store. Also, Barnes and Noble and Amazon online. It breaks the state into sections and tells you all you need to know. And best of all, exactly how to get there. A must have in my opinion. Titled "Flyfishers Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. Below is a link.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=75
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile Skin so Soft -

Just returned from the Situk River outside Yakutat and Skin so Soft was brought in by my partner and it was outstanding. I brought bull frot and it was good; but with SSS the mosquitos would be all around us with not ONE on any of us......

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    "Skin so Soft" is great stuff! Of course definitely have the head-net as well.
    Buck Sheward
    Henryetta, OK
    email: smallbiz@wt.net

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    Muskol has been good for me. The higher the deet the better at least for keeping the bugs away!
    I agree. Ben's 100, or if you can find it, the old green bottles of mil-surp repellent @ 75% DEET works well too.

Sawyer's Clothing treatment will complement it nicely. It's permithrin and should only be sprayed onto clothing and allowed to dry before wearing. It last for two weeks. Bugs land..........and fall off dead.
    Now what ?

Take a good set of bino's with you and anytime you see a promising looking body of water just stop and glass it. If there are fish hitting the surface or boiling its evident real quick and worth the hike in! That was our secret to success on the Denali hwy last year and our plan for a trip in this year if work cooperates! Ours was an ATV trip so it was easier to get up on the high spots to glass our prospects, but should work nicely from the road system as well! I was able to get some pretty good pictures of the fish as we caught them as well!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page