Thread: Clam ?'s

Default Clam ?'s

What is the little tubular glass looking thingamajig in a Razor? What is its function?

If the beach is open for razors - then are mussles free of the PSP biotoxin also?

What is the best way to get the grit out of a mussel? I brought some home, but put the incoming tidal water in the bucket - for a day, hoping that they would clean themselves out -they were alive, and opened when I cooked them, but they were very gritty - was the brackish water not enough salt for them and they went inactive - or should I put cornmeal in with the water to let them sift through that?

The grit wasn't really in the clam meat - just around it. - I only got 1 rinse on them before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What is the little tubular glass looking thingamajig in a Razor? What is its function?

If the beach is open for razors - then are mussles free of the PSP biotoxin also?

What is the best way to get the grit out of a mussel? I brought some home, but put the incoming tidal water in the bucket - for a day, hoping that they would clean themselves out -they were alive, and opened when I cooked them, but they were very gritty - was the brackish water not enough salt for them and they went inactive - or should I put cornmeal in with the water to let them sift through that?

The grit wasn't really in the clam meat - just around it. - I only got 1 rinse on them before I left.
    Its called a crystalline style (sp) part of clams digestive system. toss it. do not eat

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Its part of clams digestive system. toss it. do not eat
    NOW they tell me.

Default Bull

Definitely use corn meal or flower....I left them in a bucket of water and drove back to Eagle River with them that way and they were fine. Hardly any sand at all. Then cleaned them at home. Still alive, still just fine.

harvest your mussels from a vertical area (side of a rock) and they will have much less grit to begin with.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Thanks Dave

that is good to know.

Now if I can figure out where to fish this weekend for a king I will be good to go!