Thread: Fish late or fish not coming?

Default Fish late or fish not coming?

Seems as if the last two runs of salmon have failed to really come... Last years silvers were really really slow and now the kings are really really slow.... Do you think somethings happening to the fish at sea or the runs are just gonna be late?

That seems to be the 64000 dollar question.

I think there are not very many fish in this run for southcentral.

----

Why last years southcentral silver run was low who knows. It did not seem like Valdez had any shortage of silvers last year.

Most years I get about 25-30 silvers from Eklutna tailrace. Last year I got two.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Weak or late?

How about weak AND late!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Lets hope theyre just late; Kenai seemed to get hit really hard with fishing success over the last couple days- who knows, plus the anchor seems really hot now aswell, gotta be optomistic but I'm starting to wonder aswell...

Let's hope not late at all.
    I am ready for the fish to come in. We are ready to fish this weekend as well.
    Have you already been out?
    I have also heard that it's terrible. No kings in the area that my husband is in. We are supposed to meet him this weekend to go fishing, but if he's not catching any fish, I question on whether or not I want to waste the gas $$$ to make the run out there. If I go, I want to bring fish home to cook, fry, bake, grill, and spice up, you know?
    I don't want to come back empty handed.
    Lurker.

Ive been to Ship Creek once this season, fished for 7 and a half hours, saw 3 fish landed; heard its slowly getting better and Mr. Lavrakas said the same-

As far as Kenai goes it seems that their run is doing great+ the Anchor sounds HOT and I read a report about a large slug of kings entering the fishin hole in homer now-

If you google AOJ fishing reports its a GREAT site, these two go hand in hand with each other.

Good luck fishing!

Default the Fishtale River guides fishing report

http://www.fish4salmon.com/reports/2008/june2008.asp

does not seems that exciting. He did a lot better than I did though.HaHa

--

I will be in Homer Friday, come on, spit pond. I will keep all I can from there. I would like to get some Kings from somewhere.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

At least in the lower states and Canada, missing fish seem to be the "norm" this year. Bad ocean conditions have lead to the mass disappearance of millions of salmon throughout the Northwest.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the AK salmon runs are also effected, albeit, not as great.

weak because of poor ocean conditions and late because of this cold june and heavy snowpack. We need some sun and we'll have a big surge in kings.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Did anyone remember to send out the invitations to the Kings to the Royal Waters???

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post

As far as Kenai goes it seems that their run is doing great...
    The Kenai just logged its best one-day count for the season... 975 fish on June 11. The run is revving up toward its historic mid-June peak ( historic median passage occurs on June 13), and based on a run-timing model, the run-size projection is now tracking toward a solid 16.3K.

Unless folks get down there and help to kill at least 7000 ER kings (HA!... fat chance!) , it looks like yet another "over-escapement" year is in the works for 2008.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

In case you have not noticed: it has been cold and the kings are there (god bless) and they are just a bit late.

I know offshore *(bering sea and northern Pacific) that the water was about 3 degrees colder this year and lots of ice. I think it's still colder than normal and MAY be affecting the fish. Remember Reds were thought to be not coming last year, but when they did they did so in great numbers (were very hard to catch though last year as they were in deeper water than normal).

I did most of my silver fishing on the KP and did well late (sept to oct). I dipped mid aug and slayed the reds then too when I would have thought I was too late. (Kasilof not the Kenai).

So just wait and see. I think they are just coming later each year.

Thats what I was thinking, maybe we're experincing a new "average return date" who knows maybe in the future fish will show up a week or two later than thought of in the past