Thread: Rumor it aint just talked to fish and game

Default Rumor it aint just talked to fish and game

talked to dave rutz at fish and game the order is at the state level now and unless there are 2000 fish through the weir by this evening there going to restrict bait on the deshka. Possiblely only a weekend fishery and possibly 1 fish per person for the year at the deshka. Little su may follow suit. order will probably go into effect thursday or friday at noon.746-6300 ask for your self.

Default I'm Not Suprised

I'm Not Suprised. It's All Over This Year. Willow, Sheep Creek, Little Sue.....the List Goes On And On. The Kings Are Not Showing Up. I Don't Know What The Cause Is. Hope It Improves In A Hurry!!

Wow. Visual of California 2008 salmon season starting to come to mind...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default too early to jump off the bridge.

No one knows what the run strength is at this point. The Palmer office has jumped the gun too early before and this may be another case. This is a very cold spring and runs to other systems appear to be late so I would give it four or five days before I jumped off the bridge. If ADF&G is using average run timing charts a late run will look weak at this point.

I believe the commercial catch jumped up in the last couple of days - not great but maybe a sign that fish are coming in.

We will see.

I don't know about jumping, but allot of us can see the writing on the wall. Unless we have a surprising turn around More restriction may follow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im sure they will reopen things as the fish show. They cant shut it down and not open it if they show...espiecally once they make there numbers.. any one remember a year like this.....old timers...if you do and it rebounded then all is well...

Default Are they only at the mouth?

I keep hearing reports that Sunday afternoon, moday am and tuesday were all good at the mouth of the deshka, is it possible that they are not running up as far as the weir? or am I getting false reports?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

While this (and its companion) "rumor" thread, may be thoughtful and relevant, it is a management issue involving pending closures that seems most appropriately discussed on the management forum, if I am not mistaken.

Moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    While this (and its companion) "rumor" thread, may be thoughtful and relevant, it is a management issue involving pending closures that seems most appropriately discussed on the management forum, if I am not mistaken.

Moderators?

Id call this more of a public annoucement about the run not doing so great and what the effects are going to be weather than something to debate about. If it does happen the announcement should be here so more people can see it-

Help a new guy out is it because the King count is off or is it the reds are off?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Wow. Visual of California 2008 salmon season starting to come to mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    .....This is a very cold spring and runs to other systems appear to be late so I would give it four or five days before I jumped off the bridge.......
    I'm reading about La Nina.

Have there been any trends in the past regarding La Nina and late salmon runs?

I heard the Chitina people did okay............

Default Kings

I still think they are just late. Kings have just now come into the Kasilof and Kenai rivers. This last weekend was decent fishing on Deep Creek and Ninilchik Rivers. Jumping the gun I can handle, not doing anything before its too late, I can't.

i agree jtm9 i think they are coming to........but if not it would be too late

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post

Moderators?

Dude, do you post any information or just police the forums and complain to the moderators? Really, let them do their thing.