Thread: Anyone hunt sheep out of the old Wood River Lodge?

Default Anyone hunt sheep out of the old Wood River Lodge?

Just putting some feelers out there... I hear it has good ram density, but many lack full curl (most have never seen a full curl ram and most carry really deep swings on the curl so I guess a few of them could go full.) A friend's ram was 12 yrs old and still didn't go full. They have to be eight or full, so if I elect to go, I'll surely take good glass. Any thoughts/comments?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I realize this will be no help but the mention of Wood River Lodge got my attention. I hunted with Lynn Castle in the mid seventies out of what was at that time his lodge. As a matter of fact, I hunted with him several times. The rams were some of the best in those days. Mine was well over full curl. But again, that was a long time ago.

I have often wondered what ever happen to the lodge and that area.

Default yes

Any strip that length now adays will have LOTS of other competition. That is definitely the case. I wouldn't do it for that reason, personally. LOTS of people there in and out every day dropping hunters. Its a joke.

I was there in 05. At that time the logde was closed. We hiked for five miles then spent four days hunting sheep. The lodge has once agained opened for eco-tourism. The caretakers when I was there had worked for the previous owners when they first opened for eco-tourism. She had stories about the double standards of the eco-touriests. According to her, the tourist would protest, and interfer with the hunters. The hunting during our trip was hinded by the extreme heat (80 degress everyday), and the smoke from fires. We did see sheep but no full curls. As for the landing strip it was being washed out by the ever changing flow. Charle who used to work for Lynn, did find the dyamite Lynn used for river current control. Anyway, someday I hope to return.

GaryD

I had a friend that hunted there a cople of years ago and he told me the place was infested with guides, horses and hunters. He had to go a looooooong way to get his ram and he won't be going back.

What a shame. Such a pristine area to have degraded as you fellows described. Lynn must be rolling over....

Default lodge status

word was a gentlemen outta fairbanks bought the lodge last year and it will be up and running with ecotourists this summer/fall. That strip is a zoo...MANY guides, horses, etc...
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default '89 and '91

Hunted with Lynn both seasons out of Wood River Lodge. He was married to Penny then. Great place to hunt (then). I guess that was about in the last of the golden era of that place. Hunted the first season for a ram in the Wood River drainage, and got a 36 inch full curl (guide was Keith Rambis). In '91 I went over to the Yanert Glacier and below it got a 39 and 1/2 inch argali-flared ram (well over full-curl), then a near-book caribou. Saw nine grizzlies and a huge moose, along with several smaller bulls. Didn't score on moose or griz. Guide was Randy Schmoker. Real fun experiences on both hunts. Sad to hear things have gone downhill there. Randy said the new highway would ruin the place, and maybe he was right. The guides overall seemed to really believe in a drainage named Quartz Creek, for all species. Also the Yanert Glacier always had big rams, and was tough to hunt. No idea if any of it is any good now (2011). Anyway, Lynn died in a crash in early 90's.

Which new highway? The Parks Highway was 16 years old by 1991. The highway honestly has nothing to do with the problems in that area. It's always been a relatively short flight from Fairbanks, and even shorter from Cantwell.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well, if you are going to make a 'first post' here at this forum, you may want to read the rules...(I'm not linking them.)
    Negatively using someone's name in a posting is not allowed. He or she has no way of defending themselves against such attacks unless they frequent here.

Surely you can find something positive to add to this great forum...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Well, if you are going to make a 'first post' here at this forum, you may want to read the rules...(I'm not linking them.)
    Negatively using someone's name in a posting is not allowed. He or she has no way of defending themselves against such attacks unless they frequent here.

Surely you can find something positive to add to this great forum...
    If you are refering to the post by John M, I have read his post several times looking for something negative about someone mentioned in the post, and fail to see it, what am I missing?
    And I didnt find the post negative in general? Can you offer some clarification?
    Thanks
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    If you are refering to the post by John M, I have read his post several times looking for something negative about someone mentioned in the post, and fail to see it, what am I missing?
    And I didnt find the post negative in general? Can you offer some clarification?
    Thanks
    Akgramps, the post has been removed by moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Akgramps, the post has been removed by moderators.
    Thanks Russ, That makes sense now.................!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Thanks
    Yes, Akgramps, what Russ said.
    Proud to be an American!

They must be refering to a post I put up, I understand about not posting about people who can't defend themselves, but castle's been dead for almost 20 years.