Thread: Anyone doubled the voltage on their Brutus Puller.

Default Anyone doubled the voltage on their Brutus Puller.

Ok, hear me out. I know doing this would run the risk of burning out my motor but has anyone run twice the voltage to their puller. I'm thinking that if two batteries were run in series while maintaining the same sized fuse, this would seem feasible. Right now my puller is fairly slow. Just thinking out loud. It's been a long time since I was in electronic school and I can't remember the way to go about this while avoiding major risks. Anyone tried something along these lines with either good or bad results.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Ok, hear me out. I know doing this would run the risk of burning out my motor but has anyone run twice the voltage to their puller. I'm thinking that if two batteries were run in series while maintaining the same sized fuse, this would seem feasible. Right now my puller is fairly slow. Just thinking out loud. It's been a long time since I was in electronic school and I can't remember the way to go about this while avoiding major risks. Anyone tried something along these lines with either good or bad results.
    Shawn, if you search this board real good...I think it was maybe a month or so back someone typed on here that they had increased the gauge to (I think) 8 or 10 from the motor to the plug. They also put a gasket material on the power wheel. I'll see if I can find it as well seeing as I have the same gripe.

Rick

I run hydraulics on our rig so power isn't an issue but here's another way for you to get more power out of your electric puller. I presume this is a puller with shevs (sp) instead of a capstan type puller. Anyhow, pull the shevs apart, put a small washer system in between the shevs thereby allowing the rope to fit a little bit tighter down into the center of the shevs and it will simulate a lower gear ratio. Just a thought, may be a tiny bit slower on the feet per minute but it'll pull a bigger load w/o changing your electrical.

Quote Originally Posted by IB1Gator View Post
    Shawn, if you search this board real good...I think it was maybe a month or so back someone typed on here that they had increased the gauge to (I think) 8 or 10 from the motor to the plug. They also put a gasket material on the power wheel. I'll see if I can find it as well seeing as I have the same gripe.

Rick
    Let me know if you can find it. I'm already at the biggest guage recommended. Don't think I will get much help going bigger. Also, my ropes slip a bit too. I was thinking about running a piece of sandpaper in the crevis as the wheel turns just to get it roughed up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    I run hydraulics on our rig so power isn't an issue but here's another way for you to get more power out of your electric puller. I presume this is a puller with shevs (sp) instead of a capstan type puller. Anyhow, pull the shevs apart, put a small washer system in between the shevs thereby allowing the rope to fit a little bit tighter down into the center of the shevs and it will simulate a lower gear ratio. Just a thought, may be a tiny bit slower on the feet per minute but it'll pull a bigger load w/o changing your electrical.
    Not really worried about bigger loads. It doesn't bog down now, it's just slow.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Shawn, found it on another thread

by ugly bear.....quote

I used one two years in a row, the first year I had pots with 2 bricks each and leaded line and I ran 2 on one line at 600 ft and 3 on the other at 600ft I also anchored them with 10 lb cannon balls,it would struggle and we had to use what I called max. assist so I lightened up the load by removing 1 brick each and dropped the lead also ,it helped then someone told me to rewire it with 10 gage instead of 16 that it came with and I had auto electric do it for me then I went to Alaska rubber supply and had them make a rubber gasket for my reel to make it grip I tore the reel down bolted it back with the gasket in the V , I tryed with two gaskets first but went with one and it actually grips with no assistance the torque is about double and strong enough to break the coupler in the arm extention when I
    hooked corral, it was aluminum and now its steel ,hope it will help
    Dave...

Rick

Default bigger sheeve

will make it go a bit faster if you aren't short on power.

You'd have to look closely at the specs on the motor to see whether 24V would hurt it...it would for sure go faster.